• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you put in the litter trays indoors?

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
At the moment I just put sheets of newspaper, so I have to keep changing everytime they pee in it.

Is there anything I can use that's absorbent but not messy. Every now and then the bunnies kick their feet and I end up with little splashes everywher:(

I have those underbed storage boxes with newspaper at the bottom and hay on top. Outdoor buns gets changed everyday, indoor ones morning and evening. This works well for me. :)

I use Megazorb - but it does tend to go everywhere in there pens - especially as they ALL love digging up a nice clean litter tray. :evil::love: But the ease of just having to change the litter tray a couple of times a week far outweighs the sweeping up of megazorb.

Although to be honest - with 6 indoor buns, we've learnt to live with poops etc so a slight smattering of megazorb is nothing really :thumb:

I used to use wood based cat litter which worked really well. Now through, just because I changed the set up, I just use a few layers of newspaper topped with hay which the bunnies love!

I use your joe average wood shavings (not sawdust) I know there's controversy about using it but I've tried what feels like all other options which they 9 times out of ten just eat. Mine have 2 litter trays with it in and hay on top to eat which get changed morning and night. For me they aren't an issue because they've got a large ventilated pen so aren't breathing in any dust and free range when I'm in the house. It's also cheap and very absorbant x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I use whole newspapers with hay on top. I find this easiest because we get newspapers every day in my office and I nick them from my family as well. I find it it absorbs wee really well to be honest.

I wouldn't use wood shavings, not because of the possible health issues, but because it gets everywhere and sticks to everything and I'm not keen on the smell.

You have to have hay anyway so best just to use that!

I use an underbed storage box with two whole newspapers and a thin layer of cheap hay. Does the job!

I use compacted paper pellets ( gold star on environment front:lol:) then tumblefresh on top and then straw and hay on top of that. The tumblefresh really stops any smells and the paper pellets underneath absorb all the wee.
Not the cheapest option though.

Thick newspaper with his old eating hay on top.

I find it's fine. Some newspapers are better than others. Waitrose free papers are awful as they don't absorb.

We have three litter trays with puppy pads (£20 for 150 on eBay - and we cut each in half, so get 300) with hay for eating on top. We also have a large indoor cage as a big-sized litter tray. This one has newspaper, megazorb and a rack with hay for eating. Works really well for us :thumb: out

Last edited:
2 underbed storage boxes with a layer of newspaper in each, covered By megazorb then piled up with hay.

Back