• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit recovery after dental surgery

Kelly11

Warren Scout
Hi my rabbit is 6 and a half years old and last week he had his first dental just spurring down his teeth .... It's been a wk now and his still not back to normal he's not eating hay and pellets only a few .... He eats a bit if veg so is pooing and weeing but his mouth seems to not want to open he's very slow when eating and drinking ..... Were back at vets tonight and he had 3 jabs yday to help but I'm just worried is there something else wrong :(

One of my bunnies takes a week to recover from a dental, usually because the spurs have cut his tongue and /or cheek and it is waiting for his tongue to heal that takes the time.

Good luck at the vets.

We took him back to vets and they checked his mouth and tongue and couldn't see anything and said it all looked fine .... He was given metacam when he came home that finished after 5 days and yday he had 3 injections and I think one was to help his guy get moving then a pain relief and something else but he still is struggling this mornjngn to like open his mouth he seems ok in himself but he use to love his food so it's sad to see :(

This is actually now quite a long time and I would have expected a bun to be eating well by now. I would definitely start worrying that something was missed (they cannot see the back teeth unless under sedation so would not see them on a quick check) or that in havong the mouth open wide something hurt the muscle or jaw.

You say it was a quick burring - was it cheek teeth or incisors? No extractions?

Have they given fluids to help him get over the stassis that seems to be setting in?

This is actually now quite a long time and I would have expected a bun to be eating well by now. I would definitely start worrying that something was missed (they cannot see the back teeth unless under sedation so would not see them on a quick check) or that in havong the mouth open wide something hurt the muscle or jaw.

You say it was a quick burring - was it cheek teeth or incisors? No extractions?

Have they given fluids to help him get over the stassis that seems to be setting in?[/QUOTE

He just had his back teeth spurred down no extractions .... He drinks water but still eats so slowly ! If he eats at all! I am not aware of them giving him
Fluids but they did say he was on a drip before we picked him up? He's cleaning himself and is fine around daisy but he's lost quite a bit of weft he was 2.13 and now he's 1.98 ! He's never been like that! He is pooing too but something doesn't se right! My fella is at home now with him and he's not eaten much :( were back at vets at 520 xxxx

Most of the time after a dental my bunny is back to normal the same evening or the next day the latest. I would definitely take your bunny back to the vet. Could it be that they missed something like an abscess or injured the bunny during the procedure?

I really hope the vets can help - and I very much hope your bun gets back to normal quickly now.

Thanks everyone :) we took him back and they said he's pooing weeing he's alert mouth is fine etc so they gave him some food through a syringe quite a lot and some more jabs to get his gut going they said sometimes it jugs takes take and for something to kick they said if u need to bring him back everyday we weigh him feed him then that's what we will do to get him going he obv needs a push ... They did bloods and X-rays when he had his dental and nothing came up ! Hopefully syringe feeding and these jabs will get him going! He's lost so much weight he was 2.13 now he's 1.98 :( he cleans though and jumps and plays with my rabbit he just needs to start eating! Ahhhhhh poor boy ! I'll be at vets everyday I think but I'm not bothered I would rather do that ! As they are a lot firmer feeding him etc zxxp

That's really good of the Vets to offer to do that. When Winter had her teeth filed she ate very slowly for quite a long time after. She eats normally now. Hope your boy is back to normal soon.

That's really good of the Vets to offer to do that. When Winter had her teeth filed she ate very slowly for quite a long time after. She eats normally now. Hope your boy is back to normal soon.

Yeah he eats very slow and u can see him moving it to the right side of his mouth and he's very slow ! Lol but I'm like is he getting use to the new teeth now they've been spurred down? How long was your bun eating slow for?

Me too :( he normally eats everything and anything x

She ate slowly for a good couple of weeks. Normally she eats really fast so it was very noticeable. I think you might be right about getting used to their new teeth, they're probably used to them as they were. :)

She ate slowly for a good couple of weeks. Normally she eats really fast so it was very noticeable. I think you might be right about getting used to their new teeth, they're probably used to them as they were. :)

It's good to know someone has been through a similar thing! Did u syringe feed her at all or just keep giving her bits? I try and chop stuff up very small and hand feed as much as I can! He's guzzled a load of water today :)

Yeh he's normally a very fast eater and always wants food! I just want him back I miss my big round boy hehe xx

Marbles normally takes a couple of weeks to recover from her dentals, and we normally catch it early before any tongue or cheek damage. Normally it's just as I'm starting to really worry and wonder if something else is wrong that she comes round! I think it varies from bun to bun. Marbles is on the whole a very anxious and needy rabbit so I wonder if it's just in her nature to be a bit soft!

Was he given an appetite stimulant? Keep tempting him with his favourite foods, herbs normally go down well with a poorly bunny

Marbles normally takes a couple of weeks to recover from her dentals, and we normally catch it early before any tongue or cheek damage. Normally it's just as I'm starting to really worry and wonder if something else is wrong that she comes round! I think it varies from bun to bun. Marbles is on the whole a very anxious and needy rabbit so I wonder if it's just in her nature to be a bit soft!

Was he given an appetite stimulant? Keep tempting him with his favourite foods, herbs normally go down well with a poorly bunny

Yeah he has no cuts in his mouth and his mouth is fine they say !!! Ermmm I don't think they did they just have us metacam but they have given us this syringe food and also the injections he has were like gut stimulants to get things moving ... He his pooing and drinking but just lacking in food! I'm gonna buy some fresh herbs Tomo and put him on the grass see if he goes for it xx

Back