• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

cleaning minor cuts/grazes?

aaammmyyy

Mama Doe
hey:wave:

when i was cleaning Bellas shed out earlier on i was switching out her toys and it seems shes managed to sharpen one of her jingly balls:lol:
shes only just started doing this and i've put the ball in the bin, even though it was only minor.

i checked her over to make sure that she didn't hurt herself on it and she has a tiny graze/cut - not bleeding or anything but still there, not enough to go to the vets for or anything.

i read in a rabbit book a few years back about mixing warm water with some salt and it makes a saline like solution that you can just wash the cuts so they don't get infected at home
obviously everything in books isn't accurate so thats why im here asking :thumb:

can i use that or is there another home remedy solution that i can use, just to clean it up to be on the safe side so that it doesn't get infected or to help it heal quicker?

Thanks
:wave:

You can use salt water, it's perfectly safe. One teaspoon of salt in half pint of water. Once bathed with the salt water, rinse with plain water as the salt can irritate the skin if left. If the wound is not open (as in, if the skin is not broken) however, you will probably find that it is not necessary. Rabbit skin is good at knitting together!

Cooled boiled water, with salt in it (as much as u like I think).
When rupert fell from 6ft shelf in shed he grazed his lip and this is whAt the vet said to do x

Thank you both!:)

Its slightly open but not bad, It just looks a bit sore-she was also playing in the mud yesterday before I realised she had cut her leg, so id rather be safe than sorry and clean it just for the peace of mind! :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

You do need to be careful with the amount of salt you ideas you want an isotonic solution (ie, the concentration of the salt water should match that of the body). If too strong the salt will draw moisture from the tissues in the wound and wounds need a moist environment for optimum healing. It will also damage new cells that are 'filling in' the wound. Also, salt can be very irritating to the skin and can be sore when bathing if the solution is too strong.

To be perfectly honest with you if it's only a minor cut then I'd leave it alone and just keep your eye on it. You may stress her out trying to bathe it and if you do happen to put too much salt in the water/water too warm, it might sting. We don't clean other wounds i.e. when they've been neutered, so why clean tiny cuts? Rabbits, like dogs, will lick their wounds and thus heal themselves. Keep your eye on it but let nature take its course, is my advice.

I did end up cleaning it, but I used very minimal salt because I looked at her cut and upon underneath the fur it was quite grubby where shes been playing in the mud but I just cleaned the surrounding area so that none of the mud gets into the cut, its looking alot better today too :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Back