• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles..advice needed

nori

Young Bun
Hi all,

Looks like my rescue rabbit has snuffles. She had a chest infection a couple of months back which improved with antibiotics. I brought them both inside and they are still in now (they were in a shed conversion). This morning i woke up and she was poorly again i took her to the vets and he said she has snuffles so another course of antibiotics. Annoying as she wasnt insured the first time so now any treatment will be excluded in relation to this.

I need to know more about it, Im assuming its a reacurring issue and at some point they will become resilient to antibiotics? Is she better being in or out and is there anything i can do to prevent her getting it again?

Claire

Did your vet take a swab in order to do a bacteria culture? If not then they can't possibly know whether they have chosen the most appropriate antibiotic as it could be one of a number of different bacteriums which is the cause. Has the vet offered you a skull x-ray to rule out tooth root problems? This is important as tooth root problems can be linked to snuffles as well as tear duct issues.

Hi all,

Looks like my rescue rabbit has snuffles. She had a chest infection a couple of months back which improved with antibiotics. I brought them both inside and they are still in now (they were in a shed conversion). This morning i woke up and she was poorly again i took her to the vets and he said she has snuffles so another course of antibiotics. Annoying as she wasnt insured the first time so now any treatment will be excluded in relation to this.

I need to know more about it, Im assuming its a reacurring issue and at some point they will become resilient to antibiotics? Is she better being in or out and is there anything i can do to prevent her getting it again?

Claire

I am sorry to hear that your Rabbit has another RTI. Whilst in some cases a swab from the nasal passages might be useful, it is often only possible to do a deep enough swab under GA. A more superficial swab could give very misleading results. Obviously a GA for an already sick Rabbit would not be a risk to be taken lightly. IMO prescribing a good broad spectrum antibiotic and a non steroidal anti inflammatory rather than risking a GA for diagnostics is what I would want for a Rabbit in my care who was presenting with the same clinical history/active clinical symptoms.

In the longer term it may be that your Rabbit has recurring RT problems and so you may want to discuss further investigation once she is more stable. Dental issues can be a factor, so that is something the Vet may want to look into. If the tooth roots are elongated they can penetrate the nasal passages causing inflammation and infection. ETR can also press on the nasolacrimal duct causing 'runny eyes'/conjunctivitis.

As to what is the best environment for Rabbits who are prone to 'snuffles' I would say that factors that could exacerbate problems are too dry atmosphere (ie central heating), use of household cleaning products (polish, air freshners etc), damp, draughts, unstable environmental temperature (eg being in a warm room overnight and out into a cold garden during the day), dust (from hay/bedding etc), amonia from urine soaked litter/bedding. So it does not matter so much whether the Rabbit is indoors or out, it is more about making sure that the environment is not effected by the irritants mentioned.

Keeping your Rabbits day-to-day life as stress free as possible- ie a regular routine re feeding/cleaning out and optimum nutrition will certainly help her fend off recurring episodes of 'Snuffles'.

I am sorry to hear that your Rabbit has another RTI. Whilst in some cases a swab from the nasal passages might be useful, it is often only possible to do a deep enough swab under GA. A more superficial swab could give very misleading results. Obviously a GA for an already sick Rabbit would not be a risk to be taken lightly. IMO prescribing a good broad spectrum antibiotic and a non steroidal anti inflammatory rather than risking a GA for diagnostics is what I would want for a Rabbit in my care who was presenting with the same clinical history/active clinical symptoms.

In the longer term it may be that your Rabbit has recurring RT problems and so you may want to discuss further investigation once she is more stable. Dental issues can be a factor, so that is something the Vet may want to look into. If the tooth roots are elongated they can penetrate the nasal passages causing inflammation and infection. ETR can also press on the nasolacrimal duct causing 'runny eyes'/conjunctivitis.

As to what is the best environment for Rabbits who are prone to 'snuffles' I would say that factors that could exacerbate problems are too dry atmosphere (ie central heating), use of household cleaning products (polish, air freshners etc), damp, draughts, unstable environmental temperature (eg being in a warm room overnight and out into a cold garden during the day), dust (from hay/bedding etc), amonia from urine soaked litter/bedding. So it does not matter so much whether the Rabbit is indoors or out, it is more about making sure that the environment is not effected by the irritants mentioned.

Keeping your Rabbits day-to-day life as stress free as possible- ie a regular routine re feeding/cleaning out and optimum nutrition will certainly help her fend off recurring episodes of 'Snuffles'.

Thanks for this (very helpful). They are currently in a bedroom with the window open (the one at the top) no central heating. I will clean them out even more as im currently cleaning them twice a week so will increase that (they have a large storage box litter tray). The vets have basically done what you suggest and did check teeth. I definately dont want to go down a GA route just yet.

Back