• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing bunnies

Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me advice I have two bunnies a female New Zealand White(big Bunny Dora) unspayed and a miniature otter rex (Vinnie) who is neutered. My question is would I be able to put them together them with a view to have them eventually living together with a tunnel joining their hutches and runs or am I asking for trouble? Their hutches are next to each other and whenever they are out in the garden they lay next to each others run but I am unsure about letting them out together as she is double his size and could quiet easily box his ears if she wanted to.

Hello :wave:

There is loads of advice on bonding in the Behaviour section on this forum - but I would say the first thing is to get your girl spayed. Not only will it help with hormones (girlies can get really narly) - it will prevent uterine cancer which 85% of females rabbits will get by the age of 5 if not spayed.

Once she has recovered from her spay - and had time to let the hormones die down (about 6 to 8 weeks) then you can commence bonding - alot of people recommend putting them into a neutral area (where neither of the buns have been before) for some time before allowing back into their new home together. The size of the buns shouldn't make any difference - our Bobo is twice the size of his wife Harley. But it does sound promising already that they lie down next to each other.

Back