• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much grass per day?

Gemboj

Young Bun
Hi guys
How much time should I let my buns have on the grass? Is grass good for them because mine go mad for it when I put them in there run on the grass!
Is grass an equivalent to hay or should I put hay in there run when they have grass time?

Hi guys
How much time should I let my buns have on the grass?

As much time as you can spare to supervise.

Is grass good for them because mine go mad for it when I put them in there run on the grass!

Yes. It is very good for them indeed. Wild rabbits eat grass and I actually put some hay out for them; they ignored it.

Is grass an equivalent to hay or should I put hay in there run when they have grass time?

Grass is better than hay as it is fresh. They should also have 24 hour access to hay no matter how much grass they get.

:wave: my answers are in bold.

The only time you need to worry about grass is if the buns aren't used to it, especially if say they don't get access all winter then suddenly get free access in the spring as sometimes it can be a bit rich and upset sensitive tums. If they are used to it they can have unlimited access.

Mine are on a paving slab run, I've built my three up to a small hay ball and a small hay rack full of grass twice a day alongside hay, herbs, vegis and pellets.

Mine are on a paving slab run, I've built my three up to a small hay ball and a small hay rack full of grass twice a day alongside hay, herbs, vegis and pellets.

(Depending on what breed your bunnies are please be aware they may get sore hocks if they spend a lot of time on hard surfaces, such as concrete/paving slabs. I have 2 Rex bunnies and both have sore hocks at present, Thumper being the worst. Coco's are almost better but I may have to take them back to the vet as it's been 3 weeks of treatment now and although smaller, they're not better :()

Mine are in a run on grass all the time. I don't have diggers. :) they also get a bowlful of readigrass every night. I think of grass as interchangeable with hay. Ie they can have as much as they want.

When i first gave my outdoor bunnies access to grass I gradually increased the amount of time they were getting over a couple of weeks so I didn't upset their tummies. First 1 hrs, then 2, then 4... etc :)

Mine are in a run on grass all the time. I don't have diggers. :) they also get a bowlful of readigrass every night. I think of grass as interchangeable with hay. Ie they can have as much as they want.

But they may suddenly dig one day or a fox could dig in???

On good days, mine go out around 10am and will be in their run to eat as much grass as they wish until about 8pm in the evening :wave:

Back