• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My buns are thumping lots at night once I've shut them away :( help

Gemboj

Young Bun
Hi guys
I've had my buns for about 4 weeks now and they live in a Wendy house with a permanent attached run. At night I shut them in the Wendy house just for peace of mind as we have fields at the bottom of the garden so mr fox is sure to be about!
I close the door about 11pm then open at about 6.30am.
When I go out at 11 to give them a handful of pellets and fresh hay again, they toddle into the Wendy house and I close the door and bolt it shut!
I have a shower and get into bed then the thumping begins!
I check out of the window but the security light doesn't tend to be on!
I don't know if it's simply out of protest that they don't wanna be locked away or if it's danger?
I spoke to rspca (who I rehomed from) and they advised it was ok and safe to lock them away but I don't know why they are thumping and I don't want them to be unhappy :(

It is very likely that there is a predator about, a Fox probably. Just the smell of a Fox will set my Rabbits off with thumping and they are all indoor Rabbits and I live in a very urban area !! Damn Urban Foxes :evil: Security lights dont deter them at all. In fact they seem to appreciate a bit of light as they come to the back door looking for their 'dinner' :evil:

Would electric fencing be an option ? Apart from that I honestly dont know what to suggest as Foxes are the bane of my life too at the moment :evil:

I'd say fox too - or, maybe they just showing their annoyance at bed time (Tia does this in the morning at breakfast time!)

I agree it's most likely foxes or cats but it could also be something else - how old are your rabbits, what sex are they and have they been neutered?

I agree it's most likely foxes or cats but it could also be something else - how old are your rabbits, what sex are they and have they been neutered?

One is 6 months and one is around 12 months female and male and both neutered x

I have a rabbit that thump out of disapproval at being shut in. Definitely no predators about :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I have a rabbit that thump out of disapproval at being shut in. Definitely no predators about :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Yeh, I'm pretty sure mine thump out of protest too!! They seem to do it after they've been put away. I've never seen a fox in our old garden or at new house yet...

What's a fox watch?? If it's one of those high pitched sound tags to deter foxes don't the rabbits hate it too?? Our new house had a cat scared in but I took it down coz I thought the buns would hear it too?

Yeh, I'm pretty sure mine thump out of protest too!! They seem to do it after they've been put away. I've never seen a fox in our old garden or at new house yet...

What's a fox watch?? If it's one of those high pitched sound tags to deter foxes don't the rabbits hate it too?? Our new house had a cat scared in but I took it down coz I thought the buns would hear it too?

Yeh it sends a sound that only foxes can hear, I was going to get one to see if that makes a difference but my Bruce hates being picked up and he is abit bossy so I do think it's him protesting the majority of the time but then again it could be foxes as we do get a lot here! I've never seen one but seen the poo over the fields!
I haven't seen any evidence of them trying to get in or anything so I don't know!

Some people can though...I'm one of them :lol:

Could they be fighting or chase playing?

My triplets make a LOT of noise at night, chasing each other, thumping, digging etc....it's a nightmare

Back