• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urgent broke nail

Kirotea

Mama Doe
Maddie has caught her nail and it's hanging off and bleeding a lot. What do I do?? I don't have clippers to cut the nail. Help :(

Do you have any powder in the bunny first aid box and painkillers?

we have a special powder that helps stop the bleeding and always have some metacam for emergencies like this.
(parsley bit angels dew claw off once! That was nasty!)

im sure if you don't have anything like that to hand that you can use flour. And a towel or flannel to put gentle pressure on the toe.

a vet visit tomorrow though as she may need painkillers and angel got antibiotics as a precautionary measure. They can also help detach the rest of the nail if it doesn't come off itself.

I don't have a bunny first aid kit :? Called mum in for reinforcement as she lives 1 min away. She got scratched, bitten and pooed on! Did flour and put pressure on. We put Maddie down and she sat licking it and we put her in the cage to stop her running around. We found the nail on the floor then so at least she can't catch it again. She's so not bothered by it, sat eating hay now and has been through her tunnel and chewing her chew mat. The bleeding seems to have stopped completely now. There's blood all over the floor and up the walls as she decided to scratch her ear with her bleeding foot before we picked her up! Absolutely horrible moment :cry:

She only had her nails cut a month ago and she started bleeding then too although the vet didn't think he had cut too low. Do some rabbits just have weaker nails than others? Going to have to get some stuff that stops bleeding at least. She must have caught it jumping off the desk chair as the trail of blood starts there. I've put them to bed now as they were getting edgy because it was past normal bedtime! She was having a drink when I left and has had some coriander and hay too. The bleeding hasn't started again. Going to worry about her though! :?

Its a good sign shes eating hay.
judge tomorrow if she seems she needs a vet trip, sometimes it can be a little bruised.
mind you angel is a fussy wee princess so she may just have been playing it up :lol:

good that the nail came off, would have been annoying to try get that off her.
we never did find angels dew claw, dunno if parsley ate it.
needless to say they are not friends anymore :lol: she still holds a grudge.

I know with dogs you can put petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on cuts etc and it will protect it, not sure if it's the same with rabbits?
Hopefully it doesn't bother her much, although she sounds fine :lol:

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

She's just snatched a pellet off me and there's no blood around their pen and her foot looks clean now although I haven't had a proper look yet. Will let them out as usual after I've had a shower. Just really hope she doesn't open it up running around.

My carpet on the other hand looks very much worse for wear!

Strawberry ripped his out a few weeks ago at the vets. There was blood everywhere but he was fine. We have him some pain relief and antibiotics for a few days just in case.

Happened to Jezebel on Friday, I took her to the vets straight away as she's the only one that can't be handled, even the vets struggle with her :roll: :lol:

They gassed her a bit then cut the nail off and gave her a pain killer, I've been giving her baytril twice a day since Friday just to stop any infection, I think I will stop with that tomorrow as they said on Monday a couple more days and she should be fine for me to stop

She only had her nails cut a month ago and she started bleeding then too although the vet didn't think he had cut too low. Do some rabbits just have weaker nails than others? Going to have to get some stuff that stops bleeding at least. She must have caught it jumping off the desk chair as the trail of blood starts there. I've put them to bed now as they were getting edgy because it was past normal bedtime! She was having a drink when I left and has had some coriander and hay too. The bleeding hasn't started again. Going to worry about her though! :?

The vet must have cut her quick for it to cause bleeding. What colour are her nails?
Remember the quick grows with the claw, so if the claws are long the quick will be long, and the claws will need to be gradually clipped back to allow the quick to recede and get them to the correct length. It could be that the vet cut her claws to the "correct" length, but it was too much to take off at once.

As for claws breaking, I did my lot's claws last night and all three bunnies had a claw that looked damaged in some way. I think it's just one of those things that happens from time to time, all you can do is try to keep them at a good length. I used to clip mine when I saw them poking through the fur but they still seem long to me so I'm gradually taking them back with the aim of getting them as short as possible and maintaining it.

The vet must have cut her quick for it to cause bleeding. What colour are her nails?
Remember the quick grows with the claw, so if the claws are long the quick will be long, and the claws will need to be gradually clipped back to allow the quick to recede and get them to the correct length. It could be that the vet cut her claws to the "correct" length, but it was too much to take off at once.

As for claws breaking, I did my lot's claws last night and all three bunnies had a claw that looked damaged in some way. I think it's just one of those things that happens from time to time, all you can do is try to keep them at a good length. I used to clip mine when I saw them poking through the fur but they still seem long to me so I'm gradually taking them back with the aim of getting them as short as possible and maintaining it.

She has some dark nails and some lighter ones. The vet said their nails weren't very long but I was there anyway so he trimmed a bit off all of them. They were 6 months old when I took them and as far as I know that was the first time they've had had them cut (I've had them since 4 months old). She's had a broken claw before but it didn't bleed and just came off and I've found another one on the sofa when Maddie's jumped off before but again there was no blood. I don't think I would feel confident enough to cut their nails myself :? I'm a massive worrier!

It's freaky sometimes, it bleeds a lot! But I'm sure she's ok. When you don't know what's happening you can get crazy :shock: I have clippers for Crissy and I trim hers just a little but more often, since hers are completely black. Never got a problem with it. Though once she caught hers and it was a blood rain !! But it's not as bad as it looks usually :)

Back