• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

are the rabbits bored?

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Ive had the rabbits in my room for about a week now and I have noticed they dont seem to get up to very much. They have the whole room free range and I have toys out for thembut they seem to prefer to just sit cuddling up in the dog crate a majority of the time. Are most rabbits like this or are rosie and pebbles just bored?

Biff and Bram spend a lot of time moving from different places to just lay down again, earlier in the morning or late at night they get more active playing with toys and jumping on the bed etc. :wave:

None of my rabbits play with any of the toys I got them, LOL. They do like a nice wicker basket to eat but that's about it.

Yeah they hop around, play with their toys a bit then lay down. I always expected them to be bouning off the walls for some reason haha. I do prefer them this chilled out but was worried iwssnt doing enough to entertain them!

Although I have just seen Pebbles binky for the first time since I got him two years ago so I must be doing something right :love:

Perhaps see if there are any other toys they might like so they have some variety? My bunnies don't play with jingly balls or key rings, they only like the edible stuff :roll: They go crazy for bags stuffed with hay/veggies/other treats, spend a lot of time in their digging box, and enjoy jumping to different levels. I have a box with a blanket, a "Cottontail Cottage", the regular furniture, and dollhouses for them to explore :wave: Just some thoughts!

I thought the same thing when I first got Millie and Maddie. They didn't seem to understand the point of any of the toys I'd given them. They loved their tunnels though. They've learnt it's fun to throw things after 3 months nearly and willow balls are good for that and they eat them. Chew mats are their favourites too and brown paper bags with hay and their pellets hidden in it. Mostly they sit around during the day and go crazy in the evenings.

I read somewhere that you should vary their toys daily. If they have the same things to play with daily, they get bored (except foraging things). I alternate what I give my two, one day/night they'll have their wicker balls, wood chews, and 2 of their boxes, another night they will have the balls with bells, their castle, some toilet/kitchen roll etc. I noticed that if I left all of the toys out, they didn't really bother with anything, now I hear them throwing things around. I never give them everything at once, and they only have 2 hide boxes, and their tunnels 24/7. They are definitely more active early morning, and at night as they are their natural hours to be energetic. Mine spend most of the day time lying in different places. I hear them start playing at around 4/5am, they calm down at about 10 am, become a little bit active mid afternoon, and really active and playful around 8ish. They didn't start becoming properly playful until I'd had them for about 10 days, I think that was them settling in and getting used to being inside, and getting used to me.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

:lol: That article made me chuckle.

Marbles is pretty still and placid most of the time. Except for sometime between 6 and 7am when she decides it's time for me to get up and runs round and round the bed, climbing on my face in the process. This is particularly well received at the weekends when I'm hoping for a lie-in :)

Sounds pretty normal to me.

Last edited:
Mine didn't understand balls until we started putting their pellets in a treat ball
Now they are big fans and play with balls even if they don't have food in!

Mine are always just chilling out during the day, apart from Wotsit who is a little livewire most of the time. She's the youngest though :)

They have a cardboard matt that i made for them, a box just filled with hay, a box that I cut two holes in and gave to them and some loo rolls, jingle balls, loofa chews etc scattered around. Id like to get them more so I can switch it all around but ill have to wait till i get some money. During the day is when they are at their quietest. Its during they move around a lot more

Mine don't care for toys, just the edible ones like the chill 'n chew mats. They spend best part of the day snoozing and chilling out. I usually shut them in the kitchen for the day but even when I work from home and let them have access to the rest of the flat as well as the roof terrace they choose to spend >95% of their time snoozing in the kitchen. They don't seem to have a care in the world and happily carry on with their "dead bunny flops" even when I'm in the kitchen.
They get slightly more active in the evening and hop around the flat for a bit, only to find somewhere else to lie down after a while.

It's such hard life being a bunny! :lol:

Back