• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP! driving me INSANE!

Nieve

Young Bun
Hi,
I currently am keeping my rabbits indoors in my bedroom until the new shed comes because I can't leave them out in the hutch over night because foxes live at the bottom of our garden and are always about even in the day! In my bedroom they have the space from the side of my bed as a run and a box with bedding for them to hop in and out of. I have got newspaper down on the floor to protect my carpet and for them to poop on. I can't put shavings over the top as I am really allergic to them. In the night they are awake and decide to start digging the newspaper and causing a terrible loud noise, I can't sleep through it and it ended up with me sleeping on the sofa. My boyfriend won't sleep round my house anymore because of the noise. I don't know what I can do to stop them from digging/making so much noise and just make them sleep on a night!!

Sadly you cant. Its there most active time and they dont sleep when you do.

My gorgeous TJ, who passed away recently at nine and a half, used to come up to bed with me and go under the bed. I had to throw him out, cos he was so noisy, so he used to sleep outside my bedroom door and would be laid out there when I got up in the morning.

My french lop would sit on my face in the early hours when she wanted food.

The joys of free range house rabbits, who I miss.

My advice would be to speed up the shed, as you stand no chance of getting bunnies to be quiet.

Do they have plenty of hay? As well as being vital for their health, it can act as a boredom-breaker as nibbling on it gives them something to do.

Oh dear - I feel your pain!

You could always buy a piece of lino to put on the floor to protect the carpet? I bought a 2m x 1m piece for my rabbit's enclosure for less than £30 from CarpetRight, and you can get pieces that are much cheaper than this.

I use an underbed storage box as a litter tray for my house rabbits. You could fill it with 'quiet' litter such as care fresh (or fitch/megazorb for cheaper options) as well as plenty of hay

It's difficult to solve the issue of the bunnies being active at night because that just reflects their natural behaviour, but getting into a regular routine might help a bit. When I shared a room with my rabbits I fed them just before I went to bed - they usually ate their pellets and hay then settled down to sleep for a few hours - although I'm afraid they still got up a lot earlier than I would have liked!

Hope you manage to sort something out...

Do they have plenty of hay? As well as being vital for their health, it can act as a boredom-breaker as nibbling on it gives them something to do.

yeah they do i think i'm going to put a load in before i sleep to hopefully occupy them

Are they both neutered? Just wondered whether they are creating more fuss because they are hormonal.

My rabbits are quiet at night, even the ones outside except if they hear a fox on the other side of the fence or if someone is loitering in the middle of the night. Then a couple will sound the alarm!

I currently have 11 rabbits indoors and don't need to close the doors and we are all on the same level etc.

My rabbits are quiet at night, even the ones outside except if they hear a fox on the other side of the fence or if someone is loitering in the middle of the night. Then a couple will sound the alarm!

I currently have 11 rabbits indoors and don't need to close the doors and we are all on the same level etc.

it makes me even more paranoid when they're outside :( either way i don't get any sleep!

It will take them time to get used to your routine. My buns live in my room and are generally pretty good during the night. Mine have learnt that when the light is off, it means sleep time. Some days they are horrors and last night I had to move a vet bed because one of my buns was constantly digging at it. This time o the year they are hyper because it's spring and they have spring fever lol. Newspaper is something I never use because mine would dig at it and eat it. Giving them lots of hay helps to keep them occupied.

It will take them time to get used to your routine. My buns live in my room and are generally pretty good during the night. Mine have learnt that when the light is off, it means sleep time. Some days they are horrors and last night I had to move a vet bed because one of my buns was constantly digging at it. This time o the year they are hyper because it's spring and they have spring fever lol. Newspaper is something I never use because mine would dig at it and eat it. Giving them lots of hay helps to keep them occupied.

yeah i am going to put loads of hay in before i sleep! they will be outside soon when the shed comes. i sleep with the tele on so i was wondering whether that is affecting them to stay awake?

With them being babies, they will be more active than older buns. The tv will probably be a factor, I find if my alarm goes off on a morning that's their cue to cause mayhem. They'll jump on me and race about until I get up. :lol:

Rabbits are usually more active at dawn and dusk. My buns do nothing all day, but on an evening the race around and eat and dig and be as noisy as possible.

My most recent addition took a couple of weeks to get into her routine. She would quite often jump on my face in the middle of the night. :lol: She still has mad binky sessions and races around at about 8am, but it just makes me laugh, despite the amount of noise she manages to make.

Thats lucky. Mine were free range, so they were on the move constantly at night and woke me up.

Also instead of newspaper use puppy pads ( B+M ones are good) and cover them with an old quilt cover or sheet and secure the edges. Lot quieter :D

Back