• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just don't know what to do with him!

Holhol

Alpha Buck
I just don't know what to do with my little Ferg at the moment - I'm getting barely any sleep because he's so mental at night.
He free ranges in my bedroom most of the day, and only gets shut in his hutch/run when I'm out (he's not entirely trustworthy and my room is still in need of some bunny proofing!). I have to shut him in when I go to bed at 11pm ish or I will definitely get no sleep with him jumping on me (or I'll roll on him).
He has a hutch with a run attached to the front in my room which is the same size as a double bed, more hay and toys than he could ever need and I give him his veggies just before I just him in to try and keep him occupied. He just will not be quiet! Last night he woke me up every hour trying to escape, or digging at his blankets and chewing them :( it was the worst he's been for ages, he used to sleep from 11-7 then demand his breakfast which is fine as I'm up then.
I just don't know what to do - I can't extend his house anymore and I can't let him run around when I'm sleeping. He's getting neutered this week so I'm hoping that will help, and I'd like to get him a friend in Summer but I can't cope with him like this til then!!
Does anyone have any ideas?

I do Ludo's main hay change before bed and that keeps him occupied for quite a while!

I might give that a go, he normally goes bouncing in his hay for a bit once I've stuck it all in :)
I've had words with him and told him to be a good bunny and touch wood he's less manic more floppy this afternoon, I'm praying to bunny god that we have a nice quiet night!

It might be more annoying, but some wooden chew toys (my rabbits love willow) could help. Also I don't know how long you've had him, but if you didn't get him that long ago, he might have to get used to a new routine.

Neutering may help, it won't give him less energy but it can change what behaviours they think of as as important, it's tricky to predict for an individual bunny.

Changing routine is your best bet. Giving his as many activities that are acceptable for that time period. So exercise just before bed - get him moving about an active with some play time. Then feeding to keep him busy once he's back. Cut right back on pellets (quick to eat and lots of energy) so he spends more time eating hay/veggies. Make the pellets you do give him more work with a treat ball, some with the veggies - hang them up and incorporate into toys etc.

Then see what other activities you can sleep through, for example cardboard box shredding? Things he can nudge about, sticks/branches for chewing.

If he's a chewer might be worth removing the blankets, he's well insulated and won't need them for warmth :)

Is there anyway he could go in a different room to the one you sleep in or does he have to be kept in your room? My girls have a pen / free range set up too and they've learnt to sleep at night. They're in the kitchen and my bedroom is next door so I can hear them. If I put them to bed and stay in the front room (it's open plan living room / kitchen) to watch the end of something they get annoyed and rattle the cage but as soon as I go out the room to bed they are fine! I know a lot of people do have bunnies in their room though, but mine feel if I'm there with them then they should be out free range!

I feel your pain... Timmy not only could not be in my room because of noise, but I couldnt wait to get him out of the house. Hes now an outside Bunny and as far as I know he doesnt try to escape... and if he does, I cant hear it now :)

I just don't know what to do with my little Ferg at the moment - I'm getting barely any sleep because he's so mental at night.
He free ranges in my bedroom most of the day, and only gets shut in his hutch/run when I'm out (he's not entirely trustworthy and my room is still in need of some bunny proofing!). I have to shut him in when I go to bed at 11pm ish or I will definitely get no sleep with him jumping on me (or I'll roll on him).
He has a hutch with a run attached to the front in my room which is the same size as a double bed, more hay and toys than he could ever need and I give him his veggies just before I just him in to try and keep him occupied. He just will not be quiet! Last night he woke me up every hour trying to escape, or digging at his blankets and chewing them :( it was the worst he's been for ages, he used to sleep from 11-7 then demand his breakfast which is fine as I'm up then.
I just don't know what to do - I can't extend his house anymore and I can't let him run around when I'm sleeping. He's getting neutered this week so I'm hoping that will help, and I'd like to get him a friend in Summer but I can't cope with him like this til then!!
Does anyone have any ideas?

Have you tried ear plugs? I have to use them because next door's yapping dogs wake me early every day. But they also mean I can't hear the bunneh trying to get into my bedroom :lol:

Thanks for all your advice! I've had him over a year and he has been perfect with his routine up until this week - I'm hoping it's down to Spring fever
I get him out just before I go to bed and I've started doing his hay change just before I lock him in which helped last night woohoo!!! :) unfortunately he can't swap rooms.. I end up moving instead, he has the biggest bedroom as he is spoilt :)
Last night I managed to get to sleep and stay asleep til 5 til my boyfriend got up and woke Fergie up (was not happy with him) but touch wood the hay change and extra veg are keeping him quiet :)
Might treat him to some willow balls this weekend, he can't have cardboard as he thinks it's food and eats it rather than just chewing it
Thank you all! :)

Back