• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are rabbits afraid of the dark?

Karen's

Mama Doe
I just checked on the buns outside before going off to bed, and the garden is pitch black, no moonlight. Do you think buns are afraid of the dark?.... Or just silly bunny mums?:oops:

Not at all.... mine are wuite often running around gone midnight when theres not even a glow from a street lamp... me on the other hand poop myself when I go out to feed them at night x

I think they rely on their hearing and sense of smell more than their eyesight, so I don't think they mind the dark, don't worry xx

Not at all.... mine are wuite often running around gone midnight when theres not even a glow from a street lamp... me on the other hand poop myself when I go out to feed them at night x

I don't mind the dark, but I don't like going out when it's windy. Someone could be following me and I wouldn't hear them :shock:

Sorry if this sounds a bit rude, but rabbits are Crepuscular, in that they are most active at dawn and dusk, in low levels of light. They also spend a great deal of time in burrows underground with no light. Their eyes are very excellent at seeing in the dark (remember being told to eat your carrots to get good night vision?), and they tend to rely on hearing and smell more anyway. So no, I highly doubt that rabbits can be afraid of the dark; if anything, they feel safer from predators when it's dark.

Mine have never been afraid of the dark, BUT sometimes my bun now scares me when it's dark because he will sometimes thump.

He ONLY does that when something creepy is outside (like coyotes or cougars) so...when I hear him thumping in the night I get chills wondering what's creeping in the yard!

He actually spends most of the "lights out" hours in my bathroom sleeping on the shower mat. When I turn off the house lights, he knows it's bed time and he has decided that's his bedroom. There are NO windows or any light at all in there, it is absolutely pitch black at night and that is where he chooses to go. Probably because he is unlikely to hear or smell too many critters when he is in there!

Jasper is on hyper-drive during the night, races all over the place including me when I'm asleep, little monkey :lol:

hahaha, i hope not! otherwise poor shooter would be scared poopless every night! lol! although it dosnt look it! i wouldnt worry:)

I doubt it. Just me :lol: that's why I refuse to have outdoor bunnies :oops:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Holly doesn't like it to be too dark at night - she thumps like crazy if we don't leave a low light on at night. We think it may be from being dumped in a box outside P@H - must have been terrifying for her :(

My harry is scared of the dark if the outside light blows and i'm not in to change it he goes in to a mad panic and thumps til he has the light back and either me or his mamma to comfort him the others thump if there not covered over and its dark

Our Holly doesn't like it to be too dark at night - she thumps like crazy if we don't leave a low light on at night. (

This was the case with Scrabble as well. Maybe it was just because of what she got used to from young (as a house rabbit). She got very panicky if left with the lights out.

Ours are way easier to catch if it's light - they'll just bounce onto my knee. But seem much more reluctant at night
First time I've really appreciated British summer time!

Ive had the batterys in the shed light go dead when Ive been feeding the buns before. I pooped myself! lol x

Thanks everyone, glad it's not just me who is a big girls blouse about going out when it's dark!
I think my buns are fine, they are often out when it's dark and seem quite relaxed, but reading your replies maybe some buns are a little bit scared of the dark. Who knew! :lol:

Back