• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Clever/Scared Rabbit

sparkyblue87

Young Bun
One of our buns Fudge used to be the cuddliest bun. Since she has been spayed and got older (nearly 1) she is less inclined to be picked up. She will run around her hutch to avoid being picked up. Obviously I am aware rabbits aren't supposed to like handling but we need to do our basic checks!!

Any ideas how I can make her more confident to be picked up?

Cheers

Hi,
My bunnies hate being picked up to so I tend to avoid it. We go to the floor to do claws and basic health checks. Its easier to catch a bunny on the floor, from the floor. :D
Even with my last bunny Ig who tolerated being held, he still was frightened being high up. I think its fairly common with bunnies to be afraid of being held. :)

My bunny is currently having eye drops so also avoiding me
Trying to train her to go into a carrier instead. Her brother's learning it really well...

My girls were the same; loved being picked up for cuddles, always got tooth grinding going on while they were in my arms.

Then they hit puberty, got spayed and now detest being picked up with a passion. I looked like I self-harmed for a good few months due to all the scratches I received. I have since got the message and only pick them up to administer medication, and then it's on ground level (unless at the vet).

Sadly a bunny is dinner to most other things and therefore if they are picked up, they can't run and running away is their defence mechanism (and boy, are they fast and agile!). It is therefore unlikely - though not a definite no-no - that they will tolerate being picked up again now that they have matured. As babies they needed you; as adults they don't. :(

Back