• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A wee question

Kirotea

Mama Doe
I thought one of my girls had bladder sludge but on researching more it's not really bladder sludge it's just slightly more of a calcium deposit than I'm use to seeing. The wee is still liquid but it's leaving more of a white mark. They've always had a few white lines at the bottom of the litter tray and I think that's normal. I'm cutting down on their veg (especially the high calcium ones) and pellets a little and making sure they're drinking water and moving around. They're good hay eaters anyway. Do they need to go to the vet or would you wait and see for a few days if the calcium in their wee goes back to the normal level I'm use to seeing? They seem perfectly fine in themselves.

I suspect that it might be Maddie because she's the dominant one and they have their pellets hidden in hay so I would guess she might have been stealing them off Millie. She's been slightly more on the bossy side recently with spring fever I think!

I've only had them 3 months so I'm still very new to this bunny lark! They had a vet checkup a month ago and he gave them a clean bill of health then. Thanks

As far as I'm aware rabbits excrete excess calcium in their urine so a certain amount must be normal.

I wouldn't worry too much about it - rabbits can get rid of a lot of calcium in their wee and a cloudy urine is normal for some rabbits
My bun does cloudy wees that dry white sometimes, he's never had a problem but I do the same as your doing and cut down on high calcium foods and that seems to sort them out within a few days :)
As long as they aren't sludgy I wouldn't worry! :)

And I wouldn't stress about it being the pellets too much - they do have added calcium but probably not enough to cause sludge in a healthy rabbit :) more likely the veggies! If your bunnies are still young I would cut down veg rather than pellets, as they're still growing so need a bit of extra protein (if they're fully grown cut down pellets if need be!) :)

Back