• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit behaviour after being spayed

Gemmit17

New Kit
Got our rabbit spayed on Friday. She's been at the vets each day since as she has been very reserved and unmotivated since (lying about in her own toilet)
She is eating very little, few greens and strands of hay, is this enough or should we be trying to get her to eat more?

Only if she wasn't eating anything atall. She is eating mostly greens (no dried food atall) but I don't feel that it's enough

My bun went completely off pellets after being spayed for some strange reason. She also spent a lot of her time looking rather sorry for herself and not eating much, despite having pain relief. It took her a few days to perk up and start moving around.

Sending lots of vibes to your girl. x

Thanks. She's defiantly perked up since Friday/Saturday but I just feel she's not eating enough. But the vet did say if she was eating anything atall then that's fine.

I think by tomorrow your rabbit should start to eat more than greens, not wanting their pellets is very usual so no need to worry about that. Hope this is the case and bunny is feeling a little better tomorrow.

Cheyenne took a good week before she started eating properly. .. Bug was fine within 24 hours. .. They are all different in their recovery time. As long as she is eating something.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I would put her out as she may feel happier if she is used to that. Some rabbits don't like being indoors, so maybe she is one of those.

Got our rabbit spayed on Friday. She's been at the vets each day since as she has been very reserved and unmotivated since (lying about in her own toilet)
She is eating very little, few greens and strands of hay, is this enough or should we be trying to get her to eat more?

I've just had the same problem. My male and female were neutered 10 days ago. My male bounced back just fine but 2 days later my female was back in surgery, having pulled her stitches out!! The vet put extra stitches inside and out. She then had 4 days of antibiotics and a buster collar.
She was fine eating carrots and lettuce etc but wouldn't touch her pellets and foe the first couple of days I held the water bottle to her mouth just to make sure she was drinking.
This weekend she has picked up just fine. She is eating and drinking normally and bouncing around as normal. I haven't put her back in the shed yet as she still has the buster collar on and somehow keeps getting it caught in her bottom teeth so I have to frequently check on her. I think the girls just need more time. The vet also said that she was ready for breeding at the time of her op so I don't think that helped with her mood. I hope your bunny picks up soon :)

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

I will keep her in tonight and put her back into the garage tomorrow. She lives in the garage as she doesn't like being outdoors in the dark (she thumps her hutch all night and the neighbours come to our door) but we are hoping getting spayed will help with that along with her grumpy behaviour. Over the past 2 days she's like a different bunny, enjoying getting lifted and getting a cuddle but she will indicate when she's had enough and head back into the kitchen.
I will persevere with the eating, aslong as she's eating something it's better than nothing. Back at the vet on Tuesday so will see how we are for then
Thanks for your help

Hope she is feeling better soon. I kept my girls inside for about 10 to 14 days until the vet was happy with their wound, but that was because they were going back outside to their hutch/run, if your bunny is used to being in the garage she will probably be happier there.

My 2 went off hay for couple of days, usually as said its pellets they go off, but then they're all different! You could try her with some readigrass, some grass/dandelions picked from the garden (so long as it's not been sprayed with anything) her favourite herbs, those were my girls post spay foods.

Has the vet given her an appetite stimulant (metoclopramide) she may need this to get her guts moving properly.

Wee update on Poppy
It will be a week on Friday since Poppy got spayed and she's pretty much back to normal. Eating, drinking, toileting, playing etc which is nice to see.
We moved her back into garage and it made a huge difference, she loves being out their but really dislikes being in the garden (as she kicks and thumps very loud) so we are back to having a happy bun. Still getting medicine but doing well. Thanks for all the advice it really helped put my mind at rest.

Back