• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes For Rupert Please UD p57 PM Results

Captain Helen

Wise Old Thumper
Rupert is a nearly 7 year old rex with a suspected heart problem. He's on frusemide, Septrin and Metacam but he's not improving :cry: He's so tired all the time. He's lost a lot of weight and his respiratory effort is increased. The symptoms started so quickly that I have a very bad feeling :cry:

I only have experience of heart disease in Salem the cat, and he was diagnosed during investigations for his inflammatory bowel disease, so this is very different.

We're back at the vet tomorrow and he might start him on an ACE inhibitor or something else the vet mentioned that he wants to research first.

I can't lose Rupert, his partner Misty is completely blind and relies on him so much :cry: Please send lots of vibes for Rupert.

Last edited:
Thank you. I was really hoping for a drastic improvement once he started the frusemide, but he's worse :cry: The vet could only hear a crackle on his lungs, so he's on antibiotics just in case, but the vet thinks heart problem.

The vet mentioned a drug called pimobendone or something, I haven't looked it up yet.

Last night and this morning he flopped/collapsed a couple of minutes after his meds :cry: I guess the stress of it is too much for him (but it's not a struggle to get the meds in). He was having to have a rest before finishing his pellets, now he doesn't want them at all. He's eating leafy veg fine so he has an appetite, I think they involve less effort than eating pellets.

Thank you. I was really hoping for a drastic improvement once he started the frusemide, but he's worse :cry: The vet could only hear a crackle on his lungs, so he's on antibiotics just in case, but the vet thinks heart problem.

The vet mentioned a drug called pimobendone or something, I haven't looked it up yet.

Last night and this morning he flopped/collapsed a couple of minutes after his meds :cry: I guess the stress of it is too much for him (but it's not a struggle to get the meds in). He was having to have a rest before finishing his pellets, now he doesn't want them at all. He's eating leafy veg fine so he has an appetite, I think they involve less effort than eating pellets.

That would be pimobendan (Vetmedin)

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Boehringer_Ingelheim_Limited/Vetmedin_Flavour_Tablets/-63760.html

Massive vibes on their way for Rupert. And gentle noserubs for both him and Misty. xxxxxxxx

To be honest, it sounds very similar to what Norris is going through at the moment. I have decided to take him back to the vets tomorrow for a full checkover. Do you suspect that there could be problems with Rupert other than a heart problem?

Rupert is still fighting, but he's very weak now. I haven't seen an improvement over the weekend, I think he's worse, but the vet thinks his chest sounds better. He wants him back tomorrow morning for a conscious xray before prescribing anything else.

I've been reading through the threads on heart problems on here, and most of the buns don't seen to have the rapid weight loss that Rupert has. And Rupert isn't mouth breathing like the buns I've read about. I don't know if that could mean there's something else going on or if it just presents differently in different buns. Relieved to read about the good results Vetmedin has had though.

To be honest, it sounds very similar to what Norris is going through at the moment. I have decided to take him back to the vets tomorrow for a full checkover. Do you suspect that there could be problems with Rupert other than a heart problem?

I'm not sure, hopefully the xray will give us some answers xx

Adding more vibes for Rupert. I hope the xray shows what's going on.
(((((((((Huge hugs))))))))) for you too, Captain Helen. xxxxxxxx

Back