• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've adopted a bunny

Amylou1985

Young Bun
hi I was looking for a bit of advise. I adopted a 16 week old boy yesterday. I was advised that he doesn't like other bunnies so he seemed perfect for us. We brought him home and set up his hutch for him. I checked on him periodically over the course of the night and he didn't seem very happy and eve growled at points. I put his down to him being frightened. I have checked on him this morning and he doesn't seem to have drunk anything and he growled at me again. I just wondered if anyone had any advise on how we can bond with him. I want him to be happy.

Hiya and Welcome!!

It will take a little bit of time for your bunny to settle in his new home, he may well just be a bit scared..

Its vital though that he eats and drinks. has he plenty of hay to eat? Its imperative that bunnies have lots of hay. Have you tried tempting him with some fresh herbs? That might also help to mke him less wary.

If he doesnt eat and drink and poo , its a vets visit that would be required.

He may also be hormonal and may need neutered.. Has this already been done?.

All the best
fee x

Hi no he hasn't been neutered we are going to the vets tomorrow for injections and to book him in for neutering. He has eaten a bit I have put fresh veg as well as pelets and hay. He doesn't look like he's poo'd very much. Could is be down to the transition? I don't know if I'm worrying too much and just leave him alone to get settled? I've never adopted before this is all new but he hasn't been used to being handled either so I think I have my work cut out for me xx

Maybe a suggestion. Some bunnies prefer to drink out of bowls rather than bottles. I know my two bunnies LOVE slightly tepid water from a bowl. they will drink loads then but only drink out of a bottle during the summer when they are mega thirsty,,

maybe try this to encourage fluid intake or maybe moisten some veg with water too?

I've kept bunnies for about 20 years now and in all that time I have only known 1 that didn't like other bunnies.

Rabbits need company of their own kind, they will be lonely otherwise.

At 16 weeks old your boy cant have had many/any attempts at bonding with others!

Hi!
Welcome to the world of bunnies! If you're anything like me you will find this forum invaluable for advice and support!
Like others have said, give him time to settle and make sure he has lots of hay and water. He may calm down once he has been neutered and then maybe open to a little bunny company
Good luck xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all I'm great at worrying he has hay carrot cabbage and pellets, a bottle and a bowl of water but he hasn't touched any of them. I guess I just need to know if this is normal I'm so worried xx

hasnt he eaten ANYTHING since this morning?.. If he hasnt, thats a worry.
Is he pooing?

He has in the past hour popped and eaten a bit of hay and drank from a bowl so seems better he seems to like a cuddle but is panting a bit and of course me over worrying I'm concerned the panting is a bad thing xx

Back