• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im scared

Pablo2013

Warren Scout
I will be booking my Pablo in for neutering in May hes a free range house bunny with a XL dog crate as base. He will be getting vacced, healthcheck, chipped n neautered but im so scared about him going under GA hes my little baby weve only had him a week but the whole family adore him :love: he did his first binky last night n I got tearful ha :shock: Hes such a little character who poos EVERYWHERElitter training attempts failing badly he will watch me picking up his accidents then defiantly come out and poop some more :evil: ...terrorises our lurcher...LITRALLY plays trains with our son by picking them up n tossing them (toy ones) lol n wouldn't change him for anything! Are rabbits as a rule OK under GA? what are the risks of anything going wrong?? :?

There is very little risk if you have a vet that is good with rabbits. But it is important to have a vet that is experienced with rabbits (rabbits are classed as exotics so not every vet is good with them).

Personally though, I would not want him vaccinated at the same time. Vaccines can make them feel a bit rubbish after and I think it is too much to do it all in one go.

I take it that he has been health-checked to make sure he is healthy enough to go under anaesthetic?

As long as you have a good vet, he will be fine. It is a routine operation and males usually bounce back within a day.

Ah thank you for that heads up RE vaccinations :) He hasn't been health checked yet but vet said he will under go a pre op check before the op takes place - got so much on this month weddings, hosp appts n honeymoon so that's why im leaving it until may so I know I can be 101% focused on his op an recovery :thumb:

I agree re vaccinations, they take 3 week to develop a full immune response so if anything else challenges the body during that time (an anaesthetic and operation with wounds from which to recover, for instance) there is a risk that the bun will put all it's effort into healing the wound rather than into developing an immune response. They may therefore not develop a full immune response to the vaccine, but of course you wouldn't be able to tell whether they had or not.

Personally I would recommend you get him booked in soon for his vaccination. That way he can have a check over, his vaccination, and then there would be a gap of at least 3 weeks prior to his neuter, which is enough time for the immune response from the vaccine to develop. It's relatively mild so the risk of myxomatosis etc already exists, personally I would recommend doing it sooner rather than later.

Good luck with your little chap :D

:thumb:

Also his pooping should get better by about 6 weeks after his op, he is hormonal just now and as he is in a new place, he is trying to claim the territory as his. You may see him rubbing the underneath of his chin over furniture too. We call it 'chinning' The rabbit's scent glands are there so this is another way of him thinking he is claiming things as his.

Back