• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Garden Design - Rabbit friendly. ..

gemsyg

New Kit
Hi. I've been living in my new house for 2 years now and have only just got around to thinking about the garden. We have 2 bunnies, Gemini who has her own house and run and Joey who is a giant, thinks he's a dog and roams the garden freely most of the day.

I know there are loads of articles and advice on what plants to keep that are safe should the bun decide to nibble but what if they are just destructive... Joey likes to bite the stem of most plants, not eat them just sort of prune them to the extent that no planter has any surviving plants since we adopted him last October. My mum has suggested rabbit guards if I'm putting in any trees but does anyone else have any suggestions other than fencing?

Oh and he has plenty of toys so I don't think is from boredom bit it certainly does get my attention when he starts chewing.

Have to admit that he is a little less destructive than our now passed 3 legged lop. On my return from the Chelsea Flower Show I put a couple of ornamental poppies down on the ground just so I could open the door. Turned back round and the heads had gone as had our bunny who pretended he hadn't been anywhere near!

How about using the strong mesh that the runs are made of and just making protective guards out of it to go over or arround plants?:D

I would go for hanging baskets, you can pop one on each fence post. Trees in the ground with bunny guards would also work well, you can get standard (tree shaped versions) of things like roses and buddleia. An arch or pergola could work well too with climbing roses or grape. It would be relatively easy to mesh around the base of each upright and I think once they'd grow you wouldn't notice the mesh so it wouldn't look like fort knocks.

Some good ideas there; lets hope the weather holds up this weekend so I can get planting without the buns stuffing their rather cute faces!

Thank you! :D

Back