• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

change in poops and not much hay eaten

moi

Mama Doe
3 weeks ago I was in hospital for 2 days with my youngest. My eldest fed and watered the buns, but I forgot to remind him about the hay. All the buns poops went a bit smaller but 4 of them have since gone back to big golden poops, but Peggy and Tonics have gone small and dark. They dont seem to be eating much hay either. Could the 2 days of no hay have messed up there insides. They have a eggcupful of pellets in the morning and night and veg once in between x

Last edited:
Not sure but it seems likely. I would keep an eye on them over the next couple of days and watch out for any stomach pressing/refusing food. Grass can make their poos darker too.

Did they have little or no hay? If yes, then yes absolutely that would be very likely to put them in gut slowdown or stasis.

The problem is that they now have slow guts. A slow gut can be very painful and also makes them not feel as hungry, hence they eat less and so the problem continues in a cycle. What you need to do is break the cycle. The easiest way is a gut stimulant to speed the gut up, but that does require a vet visit.

You could also try upping the forage amounts or fresh grass, but go easy as you don't want upset tummies from a big change to diet. The best way would be to get them to eat more hay, that really is the solution here, but it is getting them to eat it that is the problem. If they have a favourite hay or like readigrass, I'd give them lots of that for a while to encourage them to eat more.

Make sure you keep a close eye on them, gut slowdowns can spiral and if you think they are getting worse then they really do need to see the vet.

Thanks peeps.

Once the hay I gave them for the day ran out they wouldnt of had any :shock:

x

I personally would be thinking teeth. So I would suggest an examination ASAP, before it gets worse.

Back