• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need Advice ASAP on baby rabbits

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
My mums neighbour has begun breeding rabbits, Female A had 2 babies that are currently 3 weeks old and Female B had 5 babies which are 1 week old. She mentioned she was having problems with the most recent lot, the mother isn't reglecting them (though this is her first litter) but she seems to be having issues passing milk, I went over to see and she isn't passing any milk at all and seems really sore when the babies tried. So we went for option B, try the babies in with Female A to see if she'll accept them and feed them. Female A didn't kick them out of the nest, and her 3 week old rabbits are really fond of them and nestle up with them all the time, but they rarely get a look in on milk. I tried to help by encouraging Female A to let them feed but she isn't so keen which is understandable. I've tried feeding the babies via a nursing kit bottle and syringe using slightly warmed goats milk and kitten milk on seperate occassion but as you can guess .... they aren't keen at all.

Now, neighbour goes away on holiday friday, and my mum will be taking care of them for her. What can you suggest that could help the situation. Obviously my mum will try perserver with syringe feeding them so she doesn't stress out the adoptive mother , but equally, there is no decent substitue to mums milk. I tried to see if things changed with rabbit B to see if could now feed but she can't.

I need help if these bunnies have any chance of survival o_O any advice?!
I will be ringing vet in the morning as he is rabbit savy, but any info from you guys would be great! :)

Sorry I have no experience in caring for baby bunnies, however I feel sure that someone who does have experience will be along soon to offer some advice.

Best of luck in the meantime.:thumb:

I take it the 3 week old are moving about now? If their mums relaxed about things the best option might be to separate them out for 15 minutes and let the others feed. Doing that twice a day should give them enough to keep them going - rabbits milk is very rich so they only feed for a short period once or twice a day.

Back