• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toilet!!

Hi all, Just taken on a female rabbit called Truffles. Haven't had rabbits since I was 14 so learning all over again. She has pasturella and is on antibiotics, and is so much better than when I first got her. Also having a wormer. My problem is she hates anything being in her toilet area. First I put newspaper, some wood chippings to soak up wetness, then some hay and she was fine. But now a few weeks down the line, she's pushing the lot out into the main hutch area. Any advice?, as she is now just sitting in her own wetness and I'm worried that she'll get sores. Trying to keep her as clean as poss due to the pasturella :)

Unfortunately some rabbits do this and the only way I have found which cures it is to have the bunny neutered. I am assuming she isn't? Obviously you can't have her spayed whilst on antibiotics. Also, if she has snuffles it won't be helped by using shavings, these can actually cause it. You could try putting a litter tray in the toilet area, this will help to protect the wood :)

Thanks for that. Have now change her to hay only and she's a lot better. But now have the problem of her using the whole hutch as a toilet. She's using both ends now as a loo wet and dry as it were :). And she lays on it and sleeps. Don't want her getting sores etc.... I clean the hutch out every other day to make sure she's clean. Any advice? :)

Thanks for that. Have now change her to hay only and she's a lot better. But now have the problem of her using the whole hutch as a toilet. She's using both ends now as a loo wet and dry as it were :). And she lays on it and sleeps. Don't want her getting sores etc.... I clean the hutch out every other day to make sure she's clean. Any advice? :)

Try only putting hay in litter trays and leave the rest of the hutch floor bare. My first pair used to do this, it was awful, cleaning took ages and I got through so much wood chips (don't use any more) straw and hay! After joining this forum and learning about litter trays it changed my life!! So much easier. I found that wherever there was straw/hay they would wee. If the hutch is a bit wee stained it might be a good idea to give it a good clean with white vinegar and hot water, let it dry out (use a hair dryer to speed it up!) and then give it a couple of coats of cuprinol garden shades. This will remove any lingering wee smells and start a fresh :D Then get a couple of litter trays in her favourite spots and hopefully she'll then only use those! I agree with tonibun on the neutering too :thumb:

Eta: the cuprinol will also make it easier to clean and protect the wood from wee soaking in :wave:

Thanks for all that. Will the cuprinol be safe if she chews?. Also what about bedding if I don't put hay in?. Don't want her getting cold. I had 21 rabbits as a kid and it never seemed this hard lol. Been trying to get low sided litter trays but as yet no joy. Gonna have another look today. Tried one but sides to high and Truffles just kept up ending it. Then a corner one and the same thing. Just want to get her settled as much as poss to help with the pasturella. As for cleaning I made it so I can remove the floors so should make it easier. Just glad there's people on here to help. :) *Should point out she's in a hutch. Told that she needs to be outside due to the pasturella *

Last edited:
Thanks for all that. Will the cuprinol be safe if she chews?. Also what about bedding if I don't put hay in?. Don't want her getting cold. I had 21 rabbits as a kid and it never seemed this hard lol. Been trying to get low sided litter trays but as yet no joy. Gonna have another look today. Tried one but sides to high and Truffles just kept up ending it. Then a corner one and the same thing. Just want to get her settled as much as poss to help with the pasturella. As for cleaning I made it so I can remove the floors so should make it easier. Just glad there's people on here to help. :)

At the moment I'm using regular cat litter trays for my two, as they get bigger they will need bigger trays. P@h do rabbit litter trays that have one low side. You could also get one with a cover/hood so it essentially has a little entrance for her

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

Back