• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny

vicky_26

Warren Scout
So it's been a few weeks since I lost Poppy, and a little sooner than I planned, I have a new addition - Hugo.

Hugo is a gorgeous baby mini lop - Choc Tort and is 9 weeks old.

My plan is to bond Parker and Hugo once Hugo is a little older (and probably neutered) but until then allow each other in to one another's company (albeit separated by a cage) so they can be aware of each other and get used to each other up until then.

I will obviously do the actual bonding in a totally neutral area of my house but was wondering if their 'joint, separated time' would be ok in areas Parker is used to being in.

Parker is based in my back porch and kitchen but she is able to come in to my living room when I am home and when she wants to. Hugo is currently in a large indoor cage in my living room, and I do allow him the run of my living room when Parker is contained in the kitchen/back porch.

I guess I'm hoping that by doing this they will be used to each other come actual bonding time and it also some form of company for Parker. She really has seemed depressed at times since losing Poppy.

Nothing seems to be gained by allowing 2 rabbits into the same area albeit in their separate cages. I understand your concerns but female rabbits are very territorial and she might get upset by the presence of Hugo in "her" territory. Personally I would keep them separate until Hugo is neutered and then you can put them together 2 or 3 weeks post neuter in an area where your female rabbit has not been. This will give you the best possible chance of a successful bonding. Hugo sounds stunning and hope it all goes well.

Nothing seems to be gained by allowing 2 rabbits into the same area albeit in their separate cages. I understand your concerns but female rabbits are very territorial and she might get upset by the presence of Hugo in "her" territory. Personally I would keep them separate until Hugo is neutered and then you can put them together 2 or 3 weeks post neuter in an area where your female rabbit has not been. This will give you the best possible chance of a successful bonding. Hugo sounds stunning and hope it all goes well.

I agree.

Look forward to pics of Hugo.

I'm going to disagree with the other posts and say I don't think there's going to be any harm in letting them live next to each other for a while - if you notice it is causing either of them stress then you can always move him. What I wouldn't do is let him out in her areas while she is shut in a cage, or vice versa.

We'll be having ours living next to each other for a week or two prior to bonding because we're pretty sure that helped last time. By the time we got around to bonding the rabbits spent a lot of time lying next to each other with the mesh of the runs between them and bonding was a breeze.

Also, it's generally recommended to wait 4-6 week post neuter to make sure all hormones have died down.

Back