• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

U/D again... Tapla not eating (snuffles)

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
:(

Was just about to leave for my CBT appointment when I checked on them both to find her tummy pressing and not interested in food. She did a wee. This was 2pm, and she was eating fine at 9am. She had some bits of veg and some pellets. She just had the normal veg that she usually has, and she never usually has any problems with gas or anything even when she eats broccoli etc. She has had stasis twice before... one was resolved easily with some metacam, zantac and metaclop, and the other required a couple of vets visits over a few days where she was administered the same 3 meds but it likely took longer to resolve because she wasn't given metacam on the first two consulations despite me trying to insist that she needed it. Couldn't seem to find any particular reason for the stasis episodes last time. Both episodes were slowdown rather than blockage.

The vet last time recommended that if this happened again I give 0.7ml of metacam and administer 3ml of gripe water and monitor her for an hour. If no improvement, I should administer more gripe water and if no improvement after another hour I should bring her in. I've made an appointment with the vets at 6pm. They had one at 4pm but considering I only got the gripe water down her at 2.30 and I'd have to leave at 3pm to get there for 4pm I thought it was best that I go for the 6pm one. I don't want to use any vets apart from my new ones.

I was hoping to be able to do my CBT on the phone while monitoring Tapla out the window but it's not really feasible so it's been cancelled. I'll go and let them both out for a run around now and hopefully that'll get her gut moving. I tried to give her a massage but she was having none of it.

I've given her an ice pod and I'll put some water on her ears to help cool her a little as it's quite warm.

Nena seemed very confused as to why it was Tapla going inside in the carrier rather than her :roll:

Fingers crossed she perks up with a run around...

Tapla's last stasis episode was only October 2013... so only 6 months ago... :/ Before that her other one was May 2012.

Last edited:
Come on Tapla, perk yourself up.........please.

Gaby, I hope Tapla is feeling better soon. I am really looking forward to meeting them both quite soon.:love::love: And don't forget, I am not fazed by any on going health issues etc. :thumb:

Thanks both :love: She didn't want to have a run around despite me prodding her, and kept hiding behind places where she knew I couldn't reach without scratching myself in the bushes! So I've popped them both back in the shed as I was worried she'd managed to hide herself so well that I couldn't get to her. We have 2 sheds in the garden that she could quite easily hide under if she wanted, and I wanted to avoid that! She's lying in the run, and tummy pressing still. I've cleaned out their litter trays to try to judge their poos. What was in there looked completely normal apart from one smaller poo. Can't make up my mind if that's a good or a bad sign :(. I didn't end up wetting her ears as I was concerned about making her too cold. She's not her normal self but neither is she very 'down' - she thumped at me a lot and wouldn't let me burrito her. I popped her on top of the run for 30 secs as it's a novel place for her and she seemed very bright and inquisitive up there so I'm hoping it's something which will pass.

Feeling quite lost. I feel like I should be rushing her there for the 4pm appointment but realistically I know I haven't even given it any time to work and it may well pass. I hate this.

Come on Tapla, perk yourself up.........please.

Gaby, I hope Tapla is feeling better soon. I am really looking forward to meeting them both quite soon.:love::love: And don't forget, I am not fazed by any on going health issues etc. :thumb:

I'm glad you're looking forward to it :D I think they are too, they do love new people! But they hate car journeys :lol: Fingers crossed there won't be much for you to deal with. Nena's having her 5 week post-op checkup for her abscess later this week and I imagine I'll need to flush it for a further week after that, but hopefully that might be it. Even if she does still need it doing it's really quick and she's a pretty good girl for it anyway :love:

Last edited:
Just brought her back in 2 hours after her metacam and first lot of gripe water, and gave her another 3ml of gripe water. Fairly sure only 1ml went in her though :roll: Gave her a good long tummy massage with my mom there to hold her and then let her have a run around the utility room.

She produced a small handful of small but normal poops just before and after the massage. I'll take these to the vets:

She also left an uneaten lump of caecotroph in the run but it looked normal and there's been no others:

Excuse Nena and her big mouth, she wouldn't let me take a picture without begging!

Need to leave for the vets in about 30 mins so I'm definitely going to go to this evenings appointment even if she does decide to eat before then. Looks like all she might need is some zantac/metaclop to help things along, so I'd rather get that in her and have her fine rather than risk waiting and having to go for an emergency appointment.

Sending vibes for Tapla xx

Thank you :love:

Tapla's been admitted for syringe food and water as well as metacam, zantac, metaclopromide and buprenorphine.

Things don't look awful - her case isn't too severe, but she'll do better with the vet nurses. There are gut sounds, just a reduced amount. No sign of a blockage. Her weight is fine - in fact she's lost about 100g which is something I've been trying to do by cutting her food down. Teeth looked fine apart from a couple of small spurs on the inside of the left hand side, but the vet doesn't think they're causing any pain - the tongue was completely fine.

Tapla may have bloods/x-rays if she hasn't picked up by tomorrow.

It would have been insane to try and do Nena's medication and abscess flushing 3/4 times a day plus syringing food/water to Tapla every 4 hours. I have something on all day tomorrow which I can't cancel unfortunately.

I have a provisional appointment to pick them both up tomorrow. I'll get an update tonight and tomorrow morning by phone.

Sending vibes for Tapla and ((((((hugs)))))) for you. Life is either crawling by or so busy we can't get a breath in. :(

Thinking of you. xxxx

Oh man, I hope the wee one gets on well at the vets overnight and is ready for picking up tomorrow all back to normal xx

Just had an update from the vets. Tapla still isn't eating but is taking her syringe food well. Nena is eating them out of house and home apparently :lol:! Vet nurse has just been to get some more veg for Tapla to see if she can tempt her. They did a blood glucose test at 7.30 which was a bit high which might indicate a blockage but it's been re-checked and it's 10 which means there shouldn't be a blockage. It's just a case of continung to syringe feed and hopefully she picks up. I've been told to keep my phone on and by my bed just in case, but the vet nurse says she doesn't envisage any problems - although things can obviously go downhill quickly with buns. I'll get an update between 8.30 and 9 tomorrow hopefully, so I should hear before I start my volunteering.

Sending vibes for Tapla and ((((((hugs)))))) for you. Life is either crawling by or so busy we can't get a breath in. :(

Thinking of you. xxxx

That's so true. Recently it's been so busy, it's insane. When it's crawling by it's rubbish, but busy is even worse! I've been struggling to do uni work with Nena being poorly, and now I have double the worry! I need my life to slow down a bit!

Thanks everyone, just had an update. She has more gut sounds this morning and she was seen eating but Nena stole the food off her. We're provisionally keeping the appointment to discharge her tonight and the vet will let me know about 4 if it's best to keep her in.

She's been tested positive for snuffles. She had some nasal discharge this morning. She's been given antibiotics which I'll continue at home. The vet isn't sure whether the stasis caused the snuffles or the snuffles caused the stasis. I'm very sad... I've suspected snuffles numerous times before because her breathing is louder than Nena and she very occasionally sneezes, and been to the vets because of it but was always told that because she sneezed so infrequently and didn't have any nasal discharge or problems with her eyes it was more likely allergies. I changed to megazorb and I noticed her sneezing only maybe twice a year. Now it looks like she may have had snuffles for a long while. There's also the possibility that I've brought snuffles back from a farm I've visited a few times where the rabbits pretty much all have snuffles. I took as many precautions as necessary - even throwing away clothes and taking a long, hot shower but that may have not been enough. The other possibility is that she may have something more serious underlying, potentially.

Back