• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunnies are all depressed :( I'm so rubbish :(

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
I haven't got any hay that they like :( I have got 2 large bags of meadow hay from H4P which they won't touch as it's too soft/fine :( I have run out of their current fave, timothyhay.co.UK. New bag arriving tomorrow although couldn't really afford it :( and due to the dislike of the meadow hay, I went out a bought a bale locally for £6 which smells disgusting, and that's obviously not nice either :( they're all looking at me with sad faces, as if to say 'is this all you've got!'
I feel even worse than I did already, and I've spent a flippin fortune on all this hay that they won't eat :(

Oh, and I've also run out of Green Oat Hay. That makes me really evil!!!

Fussy rabbits I'd say. And what a thoughtful and caring Mummy they have by trying them with so many different types of hay. Don't let them get to you....tomorrow is another day........and some more hay. x

Nah not depressed bunnies, naughty fussy bunnies. ;) They would get on with Mr B, although he is fine with hay he likes one herb one day and hates it the next.

when my bunnies were getting a bit like that about hay, i bought nothing but what was on sale in asda for a while. they learned to love it.:D:D:oops:

I definitely think it's more fussy bunnies than bad mummy! Think they need to consider themselves lucky, and very spoilt! You could try mixing the hay you have in with their favourite? See if they realise ;)

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

Seems like you work very hard to try and please them, don't be so hard on yourself :thumb: Mine used to be fussy but they'll eat baled hay now, it is really nice stuff. If you have any stables/horse feed places around hopefully they'd have some decent hay.

My goats are really fussy with hay, just like my buns they won't eat any that has dropped onto the floor, that's just bedding then :roll: but as I was digging out the stuff from my compost bin, (the goats had damaged it :roll:) there was bunny litter stuff in there and half rotted hay, and the goats were trying to eat it :shock::mrgreen::lol:

:( Sending hugs. xx

Spenser can be very fussy with his hay, but I have probably made him worse by pandering to his varying preferences. :oops: Funnily enough, he chomps quite happily on cheap suprmaket bedding hay when he is in his basin 'at his business'.

You could try doing mixtures of the various hays to see if this interests them, or maybe mix in some dried dandelion or plantain.

I totally agree with the fussy bunnies theory!! They have hay, they can eat the hay they have. Should they turn their noses up at it then maybe tomorrow they will decide to start nibbling but changing constantly won't make them eat more. Choose the stuff you are happy buying - price/availability - and only give them that. They will eat it, honest!! You just have to be strong and not look them in the eye!!

I have almost run out of hay :shock: Got a bale coming tomorrow and some hay for pets coming in the next few days.

Can you get any grass? Mine all go mad for it. Sadly mosty of our garden has the dogs in it so I cant get as much as I would like to for them.

They are all very very lucky to be given such a rich variety. You are a great bunny mum.

Why don't you try timothy hay from Wilkinsons. It's £2.60 a bag and I order it in as it's not in the shop and collect it and Doughnut loves it and it also keeps her well. The other expensive hay hasn't helped her. Someone else on here did this too and their rabbit loves it as well.

Mine are quite fussy too or so I thought :)
They get Timothy Hay in their racks but will quite happily nom the Jolleys meadow hay in their litter trays :roll:
Also I bought B and M's timothy hay with dandelion £1.99 a bag and thats going down well :)

You are putting human emotions onto your bunnies - they will eat the hay, they are being fussy, that's all and you are pandering to that, compounding the situation.

Just need to let them get on with it!

Mine are fussy too, it makes you feel bad when they wont eat their hay especially as we all know how important it is. Just go out and buy something else until you find something they will eat.

Back