• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering Tummy Buns

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Poppy has dirty bum issues. After working with the vets and trying various treatments we managed to get it under control most the time using a very careful/simple diet. She cannot tolerate any veg, Only safe herbs are dill and mint, and can only eat a tiny amount of a timothy based pellet. Because of this she was slow to grow and we have had to wait a long time for her spay as she was under the safe weight.

She's finally a good size and the only time we have issues with her tummy is when she's stressed. Vets have agreed she's safe for the op, as do I.

My main concern is her aftercare. Normally I tempt the buns with their fav veggies to get them nomming as I've never had a bun eat pellets in the first 24hrs post op. What do I do with a bun who doesn't eat veggies?

Also any tips on how to reduce her stress levels.

Following a stasis episode with Bobo caused by veggies - we've always played it safe with our buns and none of them have had veggies until the last 2 weeks (Cheyenne is very slowly being introduced to them) - and we've had 4 girls spayed without the use of veggies afterwards.

My experience has been that they have ignored pellets and have gone more for the dried dandelion leaves and hay. Do you have a particular favourite hay she can eat? Can she have some dried herbs - such as dandelion leaves? As she likes mint - could you somehow mix a load of hay in with some mint leaves so the hay gets covered with the smell and taste of mint without feeding her too much mint?

As she likes mint - could you somehow mix a load of hay in with some mint leaves so the hay gets covered with the smell and taste of mint without feeding her too much mint?

Love this idea.

She is a good hay eater thankfully. But it has to be meadow or timothy. (Although sometimes I'm not convinsed the meadow isn't what sets her off as I imagine the plant content must vary) Oat Green she loves but is too rich for her. She seems ok with a small amount of readigrass so will mix some of that in.

Dried herbs is a bit of a hit and miss, even plaintain sets her tummy off. She can have dandelion and chamomile ok, so will make sure I take some to the vets.

Back