• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone with experience of introducing a puppy to house-buns...

Emma H

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone :)

My friends dog had a litter of Labradoodles 5 weeks ago, and we are going to give one a home! Eeeek!! We get him in 3 weeks and was just wondering if anyone had experience of introducing house-buns to a pup? And if so, have you any good advice of things to do? Obviously I'm aware not to leave them unattended at any point, but any useful tips would be great!! :)

Bailey and Belle are French Lops, so they are fairly large (about 5kg each). Bailey loves a fuss and a cuddle and is like a little dog really. Belle on the other hand didn't have a great start and gets very stressed if you try and pick her up (so I don't-I just manoeuvre her with treats). She has become very friendly in terms of coming to say hello and will climb all over me for treats though. They have the conservatory as their room and that leads on to the kitchen via a stable door. Iv purchased a stair gate to go in between so they can see each other to start with.

Would be lovely to see photos of your pooch/bun friendships too :)

xxx
nature2e.jpg
muvydeqe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a puppy pen dividing the room at first, and Lottie was much more scared of the buns than they were of her. However since we got Sapphie too we're not comfortable with the idea of taking the pen down and the buns are going to be outside buns. They are all fine with each other through the pen though and would likely be fine without the pen too, there are lots of other reasons for them going outside not least Truffles constant urge to redecorate the litter trays all over the floor. My friend has a huge lab and a huge french lop and they get along OK. In fact the rabbit boxes the lab when she's feeling a bit stroppy, rather than anything the other way round.

Hello, just wanted to say good luck as I am in the same position as you and I am quite interested in other people's experience.

Up till now I haven't had to introduce a puppy to my bunnies just adult dogs (which has went well), but my Auntie has just got a new puppy.
We spend a lot of time as a family with my Auntie and Uncle so it is quite important we introduce little Ella to our bunnies and for her to know that she has to leave them alone, not to chase, etc. At the moment Ella is in the very playful biting stage, so she has only met the buns through the run, which has gone okay. The bunnies are quite inquisitive about her and come to the front. We plan to keep doing this until she is slightly older and is starting to response to commands and isn't nipping everything in reach. Then we will introduce her to them.

I have two adult dogs which are very different in temperament. Our labrador is gentle and not at all interested in the rabbits (would like to eat their pellets though).

Our collie is FASCINATED so isnt allowed in the part of the garden where the aviary is.

The rabbits dont mind Jojo (labrador) near them at all and just carry on as usual when she is around. If Tass (collie) does go near them they race off and hide.

Lets hope your (gorgeous looking) puppy has the Jojo effect :D

Thanks for the replies guys :) good to know I'm not crazy trying to have a multi species pet household.haha.

How did you introduce Lottie Sam and Truffs? Was it just a case of seeing how it went or did she know her basic commands first?

Thanks Snowflake-George :) how did you go about it with the adult dogs?

Aaah thanks Tulsi (here is one of him I've taken today when I nipped over). Is it just Jojo's temperament or did you teach him/her not to
Bother with them?

xxx
aqa7umuj.jpg

I have a friend with a cockerpoo and a westiepoo - and I certainly wouldn't trust or feel comfortable with either of them around rabbits.

Aaah thanks Tulsi (here is one of him I've taken today when I nipped over). Is it just Jojo's temperament or did you teach him/her not to
Bother with them?

xxx
aqa7umuj.jpg

It is just Jojo's temperament. If I was going to train a dog to ignore the rabbits I would click and reward every time the dog looked away from them.

I would introduce them with the dog on the lead and the rabbit in a pen/crate.

I would never leave them alone together and would not feel relaxed with them in the same room without the rabbit having a dog proof hiding place. (Not saying you would).

Even Jojo may chase/play, who knows. Insinct is strong in all animals.

I hope your lovely chocolate coloured puppy brings you lots of joy. :D

Back