• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Infacol (U/D : bladder infection)

luna

Mama Doe
I am wondering can anyone who has used this with their bunnies advise me on when it can be used and how much to administer ?

Bobby is not eating again and stomach pressing and when he has these episodes I wonder does he have gas so I bought infacol. I am going to bring him to the vet in the morning if he is still uncomfortable but for now I would like to get some advice on infacol use xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
i use it with matthew who suffers from period tummy problems. it comes with a dropper and I give him a few drops into the side of his mouth where he cant push it out again. i don't usually need to give a second dose. people who know much more than me should be along shortly!

eta: ah, I see jane has already arrived!

Same as Jane - if it's 'normal' gassy tummy then I give 2ml but my bunnies are fairly large at between 2.8kg and 3kg.

1ml per hour for the first three hours usually, along with tummy massages. listen to the tummy and see what you can hear. nothing is stasis obviously, and gas will be more of a fizzing and popping sound from the gas bubbles. x

Has he poo'd ?

As for Infacol, I give a 2ml dose initially, but only if I am certain I know what I am treating.

When we gave critical care he pooped in the towel and then a couple on the floor. They were normal. But I haven't seen much since and that was two hours ago :( he is shifting position pretty frequently. These bouts of stomach problems are occurring more close together now.

Sometimes I see dried patches of orange / red fluid on their bed that looks like blood. This isn't a new thing. ..it's been going on for months and not sure where it's coming from and they have been checked at the vet. I just wonder could there be a link ?

1ml per hour for the first three hours usually, along with tummy massages. listen to the tummy and see what you can hear. nothing is stasis obviously, and gas will be more of a fizzing and popping sound from the gas bubbles. x

Thanks for that. That's really good to know. Oh he is so going to hate me for this. I've been getting stink eye all day as it is :/

i use it with matthew who suffers from period tummy problems. it comes with a dropper and I give him a few drops into the side of his mouth where he cant push it out again. i don't usually need to give a second dose. people who know much more than me should be along shortly!

eta: ah, I see jane has already arrived!

Thanks happybun xx

Thanks for that. That's really good to know. Oh he is so going to hate me for this. I've been getting stink eye all day as it is :/

he might let you just lying next to him on the floor. that's what i do anyway and can still hear quite well. bisc has tummy episodes and has started to get the orange coloured urine and staining. i wondered if it was connected but no tests have shown anything. :?

he might let you just lying next to him on the floor. that's what i do anyway and can still hear quite well. bisc has tummy episodes and has started to get the orange coloured urine and staining. i wondered if it was connected but no tests have shown anything. :?

Gosh they are such a worry aren't they ? I would love to know what Jane thinks of that. It doesn't seem to be wee that's on their bed, I don't think so anyway coz of the tiny quantity and the fact that they never go outside the litter box. It looks bloody or something :/

I have never got bloods done for my buns. I think I might request them when they are in for vaccines at the end of next month just to have a baseline xx

Major sigh of relief here. Just went in to find Bobby nomming away on hay in his litter box. I am going to have a listen to his tummy when they come out at 6 :)

Gosh they are such a worry aren't they ? I would love to know what Jane thinks of that. It doesn't seem to be wee that's on their bed, I don't think so anyway coz of the tiny quantity and the fact that they never go outside the litter box. It looks bloody or something :/

I have never got bloods done for my buns. I think I might request them when they are in for vaccines at the end of next month just to have a baseline xx

they are a puzzle sometimes. :roll: x

It could relate to bladder sludge. You won't always see sludgy urine with bladder sludge as the problem can be that the calcium sludge isn't being excreted. The stasis episodes could relate to bladder wall pain. Has he had any abdominal x-rays whilst been investigated/treated for the previous episodes?

Major sigh of relief here. Just went in to find Bobby nomming away on hay in his litter box. I am going to have a listen to his tummy when they come out at 6 :)

well done bobby :thumb::thumb::thumb:

When we gave critical care he pooped in the towel and then a couple on the floor. They were normal. But I haven't seen much since and that was two hours ago :( he is shifting position pretty frequently. These bouts of stomach problems are occurring more close together now.

Sometimes I see dried patches of orange / red fluid on their bed that looks like blood. This isn't a new thing. ..it's been going on for months and not sure where it's coming from and they have been checked at the vet. I just wonder could there be a link ?

I suspect bladder sludge is the primary cause of pain, a urinary tract problem as opposed to a gastrointestinal problem. If it is then Infacol will be of no help at all

I would take him to the Vet to get the Vet to check his bladder

This is what I do. I have never given a 2ml first dose.

does anyone know if orange urine can be sludge, even if it's not finding it in patches? :wave:

If it's blood in urine rather than orange urine (they can look similar) then it would be caused by the irritation of the sludge against the bladder wall causing bleeding, therefore the blood gets mixed with the urine as it is peed out. The sludge might not be coming out but causing the problem.

Back