• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wounds and healing

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
My latest rescue bunny has a couple of quite large (50p size) wounds. She is underweight (ribby and can feel her spine) himilayan colour and possibly type (longish face, gonna be a big bun). She's approximately 6 months, but I think the lack of nutrition has slowed her growth. I have had her spayed, and the wounds were clipped round and cleaned, but the vet didnt want to cut open properly and stitch as she said they would most likely heal better just cleaned and left. She's eating well, although I dont think she really understands how yummy hay is, but for now her poos are fine so Im just keeping her stable. Ive been lightly cleaning the wounds, but now they are showing signs of proper healing so Im just monitoring. She has been on Baytril and Metacam to keep pain and infection at bay.

How likely is it that she will heal ok? Rabbit skin is a nightmare, and Im not due back to the vets for another check til Friday. I will try and get pics tomorrow, but its hard with only one pair of hands. One wound is on her side, and has a flap which Im paranoid is going to rip back and is quite slow on the healing, but definitely improving. The other is between the spay wound and her bum, but is healing quite well. She is such a wonderful bunny, so easy to handle and friendly, thank goodness as cleaning wounds and giving meds to an cooperative bunny is much much easier.

Also, if she is a proper himalayan how large will she grow, she's barely 2kg at the moment, same as my lionhead!

She now looks to be healing very well on the wound on her side, its all granulated and doesnt look angry at all. The wound behind her spay wound has been nibbled though and she's taken the scab off. It doesnt look infected at all, and the vets suggested to just monitor and keep clean. Ive bathed it but I dont want to soften it too much and stop it healing. She's still on baytril which will hopefully keep the nasties at bay. Ive moved her back indoors again with the warm weather and increased risk of flystrike. Is there anything else I can do to help her heal/keep her safe?

Hi Ellasyn :)

You could try putting some dermisol (like Savlon for animals) on the wounds. Bailey and Belle had a fight when they were newly bonded and their wounds cleared up great with it!

xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ellasyn :)

You could try putting some dermisol (like Savlon for animals) on the wounds. Bailey and Belle had a fight when they were newly bonded and their wounds cleared up great with it!

xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brilliant, thanks! Is that something I can get anywhere? or is it something I pester my vet for?

Back