• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FLowers for my rabbit's diet?

Linette

Young Bun
Question,

I know (at least here in the states) that some bunny hay is sold in pet supply that has flowers in it (usually marigold), and that certainly bunnies eat some flowers outside.

I live in the desert so anything like that I must intentionally grow. I have put in some grow boxes of greens and grass for my boy, but I'd enjoy some flowers for myself and thought it would be nice if it was something I could share with him as a treat.

I know nasturtium flowers are good, and I believe squash flowers as well (but not sure I have room for a vine). Any others you know of?

I find it hard to think that ANYTHING would like to eat a marigold flower, they smell vile to me!

I know when I have spent carnations from the florist he tries to get into the rubbish bin to get them before they go out for compost. But I believe that family of plants is where permethrin originally comes from and that is a poison.

You're right, carnations aren't safe.

I'm not sure what you're able to grow where you are but you could check out rabbit nutrition's website for a list of safe flowers.

The edible Pansies ive heard are safe. But dont quote me on it. check first x

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

Violas, dandelions, roses, nasturtiums (though I feed the leaves and put the flowers on salads, they're yummy!) and calendula marigolds, normal marigolds aren't safe. I wouldn't feed anything from florists though due to added chemicals. We don't even put them in our compost.

Rose bush (mini one) or lavender are my fave bunny friendly flowering plants although maybe both a bit big for a window box setting!

Thank you for the info on marigolds Elena. Would have not known that and possibly plant the wrong type !

A lot of herbs will flower later in the summer and they can eat the leaves, basil for example has white flowers and sage purple. Nasturtiums are good if you are short of space as you can get climbing ones and go up a wall so get more flowers in a small ground space.

Thanks, this is a big help.

I had forgot pansies! Mine used to love violets when I lived in the eastern woods!

I know nasturtiums like to dry out a bit between waterings so they should be perfect, and I might get calendulas to grow here as well. I am glad you explained about the diff between calendulas and other (they call the others french marigolds here), because it makes perfect sense now.

Humans and bunnies can eat borage. They have beautiful flowers.

Back