• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tremadol help U/D failed :(

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Alice is now on Tremadol as well as her metacam for her back problem.
But how do you give it?! It's powder 1/4 a capsule twice a day, I have no idea :lol:

Last edited:
I was given mine ready made in a fluid. I assume it was just water, maybe? Might be worth ringing your vet to ask if you can have some instructions to dissolve it somehow, it was certainly a lot easier than a tablet :D

Take one small plate and one razor blade

Empty capsule onto plate and spread to a flat powder

Use the razor blade to divide the powder into 4 equal portions

Mix one portion with about 0.2 mls of water

Administer dose directly into Rabbit's mouth using a 1ml syringe

Alternatively disguise dry dose in a palatable treat

Put remaining powder into a small clean dry container. To calibrate the next dose you will divide the powder into 3 equal portions, the next dose 2 equal portions.......

Finally, fend off the prying eyes of any onlooking neighbours and assure them that you are not running a drugs den :thumb:

Sounds so fiddly :shock:

OH suggested dipping a wetish veg in it to get it to stick to it then feeding it do you think that would work?!

Oh Jane your comment about the drug den made me :lol:
Can just imagine my MIL coming round and wondering what on earth were up to!
It's not us its Alice she's an addict!!

Well that didn't go well!!
I tried what you said Jane and tried to suck it up a syringe with water, it seemed to all stick to the bowl though and not go in the syringe!
Alice would only drink a drop as well there both not eating great today :(
I'm dipping a carrot in it in the morning I've decided see how that goes.

When my Bridge Bun Dylan was on Tramadol I used to crush the tablet with a spoon, divide it up and then put it in a tiny piece of wholemeal bread or toast. I never had trouble giving it to Dylan. All my buns love bread/toast. I know it's not great for them, but a tiny piece works wonders when trying to disguise medication.

Just had a thought - knowing how Bear and Alice love bananas - could you put the powder in a tiny piece of banana?

So I tried dipping carrot in it, she spat it out then made a disgusted face, almost like she was reaching, bit scary never seen a bunny do that before :(
Best method so far is giving her metacam a tiny bit at a time and dipping the end in, she's not getting the full dose though.
I don't have any bananas in but think this might work better than the carrot so ill get one tomorrow :)

Good luck, I've always found mashing up drugs in a bit of banana works well!

(For Hopscotch, not myself)

Nena takes tramadol if I mix the mixture with ella's kitchen carrot baby food and a bit of recovery food. I make up about 1/2 or 1 tablespoons worth. Works well for me, maybe worth a try?

Get an egg cup, or I prefer to use a pill bottle with a screw lid.

Empty the capsule into the vessel and add 2ml of water, shake well to mix, then each dose will be 0.5ml of the potion

Tramadol doesn't taste nice, so you need to syringe it into her mouth by putting the syringe in one side and putting it across her mouth rather than pointing it to the throat to avoid the chance of it going into her lungs

Back