• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Open at night and fox

hulmerist

New Kit
Hi all,

This is my setup for Willow and Zippie, that we have had for about 3 weeks or so now. There is a large shed/hutch with mesh front which has a ramp up to the sleeping quarters. It is connected to a 8 x 4 ft run with a runaround tube. I have fastened bolts to the lids of the run and also buried mesh panels under the grass in the run to prevent digging.

We have always closed off the run at night and allowed the rabbits free access to the run during the daytime while we are at work. Last night I thought that I would leave it open, as I am sure they would like to come and go as they pleased.

6.30 this morning, I looked out of the window to see if all was ok - and saw a fox prowling around. Is this just coincidence on the night they were open? I have never seen any evidence of foxes before. Should I keep them in at night? Is there anyway I can make the setup more fox (and cat- there are a few cats around) proof? Am I worrying too much? :?

Thanks for any advice/ comments.

2014-03-29065345_zps73fa1d14.jpg

2014-03-29065409_zpsadb83177.jpg

2014-03-29065451_zpsfbf235b6.jpg

2014-03-29065432_zpsfc571e01.jpg

I don't think it's a coincidence the fox was there once they know rabbits are there they check every night for a opportunity.
I would make your rabbits as safe as possible.
Lovely setup.

The foxes will have been around previously, even if you have seen no evidence!

As long as their complete accomodation is as fox proofed as possible, it doesn't make much difference whether they have access to the run daytime or at night, in my opinion.

Your setup looks really fox proof. For some suggestions to put your mind more at ease, you may want to put some paving slabs all the way around the outside of the run if that's where it is permanently, as then the fox definitely won't be able to dig in in any reasonable time frame, and the patio slabs should stop him even trying.

It doesn't look like a fox would have much of a chance to get at the bottom of the door as it's sort of indented in with the panelling on the side, but another padbolt at the bottom would probably be a good idea.

You could add steel carabiner clips to the padbolts to make them more fox proof if you fancied. I just bought some 6mm ones from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171049681...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 and they're lovely and strong but easy to open with one hand. It's unlikely a fox would be able to open a padbolt with any kind of dexterity, but the carabiner clips add an extra bit of difficulty/security. Easy for humans to get off in an emergency too!

This is probably taking it too far, but you could also double mesh. Personally I'd prefer to do a double layer on the inside of the run/kennel as foxes find it harder to push the mesh/staples out than pull it out. You have nice strong looking, small mesh so it probably isn't necessary, but if you want to that could be an idea.

EDIT: Looks like you have the runaround mark 3 doors, is that right? If not it would be a really good idea to upgrade to mark 3:D

Last edited:
May well put paving stones down one side and the back, the run is already flush against a concrete path so that side is covered. Might also get one of these to put in the run as an extra hiding place.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bunny-Busin...id=1396122520&sr=8-3&keywords=rabbit+hideaway

I'm assuming I've got Mark 3 runaround doors as they are only a few weeks old, so you would think they would be the most up to date ones.

I love your set up. I have those hidey houses. They do like to have two entrances. (Mine prefer sitting on the top to going inside)! I keep meaning to get round to putting another hole in for them.

May well put paving stones down one side and the back, the run is already flush against a concrete path so that side is covered. Might also get one of these to put in the run as an extra hiding place.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bunny-Busin...id=1396122520&sr=8-3&keywords=rabbit+hideaway

I'm assuming I've got Mark 3 runaround doors as they are only a few weeks old, so you would think they would be the most up to date ones.

Sounds like they are the mark 3 then, as the mark 3 have been in circulation for quite a few months :D

There was a thread about a week ago where someone had their shed torn apart by a fox. I shall try to find it...

But anyway, they had double layers of mesh and perspex with a lock on the top, middle and bottom of the door which had been gnawed and scrabbled at.

I don't personally thinj the run looks sturdy enough. Foxes are having to feed their cubs and this prolonged and cold winter will be making things worse, so they put a lot of effort into getting their meat.

Perhaps double meshing the run if it isn't already may make it more secure? I'd also want to weight it down a bit more in case they tried to lift it up.

Personally, I wouldn't want them out in that run at night. Seeing as your shed thing is a decent size and looks much more fox-resistant, I'd keep the run closed off at night time. However I know a lot of people on here will disagree with that! The argument is often that foxes can come out in the day so your setup should be fox proof anyway.

If you are going to keep them with 24 hour access I'd at the very least want to double mesh that run on all sides with strong staples. I'd probably want to make the roof more secure too. I am very fox cautious as we get them all the time here.

I second Katie's comment. There is just something that puts me on edge leaving them out at night. Our run is securely fastened to the concrete floor but we still worry at night.

Foxes can come in the day, agreed. But at least there are other distractions in the day that could scare them off.

I agree with those that think it could be made safer. After seeing what foxes did to what I thought was a pretty tight set up (try and find the thread, so scary) I'd want to be extra safe.

Personally, I wouldn't want them out in that run at night. Seeing as your shed thing is a decent size and looks much more fox-resistant, I'd keep the run closed off at night time. However I know a lot of people on here will disagree with that! The argument is often that foxes can come out in the day so your setup should be fox proof anyway.

If you are going to keep them with 24 hour access I'd at the very least want to double mesh that run on all sides with strong staples. I'd probably want to make the roof more secure too. I am very fox cautious as we get them all the time here.

I am inclined to agree to keeping them in at night. They have enough space in the shed I think to hop about during the night. Plus the fact that we would have to open them up first thing in the morning and close off at night forces us to interact with them a bit more.

I can see why people would say that foxes can be around in the daytime, but I think that is less likely, due to the other distractions. I was also wondering if they may be (even slightly) less likely to attack because there are other things, especially squirrels? We do have a lot of squirrels about. In fact, as a further question are rabbits afraid of squirrels?

The mesh on the run is not as strong as on the shed, which I will replace. Until then, I think the rabbits can stay in the shed at night.

I am inclined to agree to keeping them in at night. They have enough space in the shed I think to hop about during the night. Plus the fact that we would have to open them up first thing in the morning and close off at night forces us to interact with them a bit more.

I can see why people would say that foxes can be around in the daytime, but I think that is less likely, due to the other distractions. I was also wondering if they may be (even slightly) less likely to attack because there are other things, especially squirrels? We do have a lot of squirrels about. In fact, as a further question are rabbits afraid of squirrels?

The mesh on the run is not as strong as on the shed, which I will replace. Until then, I think the rabbits can stay in the shed at night.

I agree they are far less likely to attack during the day although I have read several stories of daytime fox attacks on here so I know it can happen.

Re replacing the mesh - instead of replacing it I'd just get some stronger mesh and add it as a second layer. Two layers of mesh with wood in between is much more fox resistant than just one layer of mesh as it's harder for them to get their teeth into and obviously just provides an extra layer, hopefully a fox might give up before it gets to the second layer.

My two have never really paid any attention to squirrels but it probably depends on the bunny. Marbles is terrified of crows but misfit likes to charge at them :roll:

Do you have mesh under the grass where the run is? If not I wouldn't let them have access until you have as a fox could dig in day or night.

I can highly recommend a fox watch - we have lots of foxes by us but I haven't seen one in our actual garden since I bought it.

as a further question are rabbits afraid of squirrels?

I would not think so. We have three outside and two of them (Tinky & Simba) don't even move when a cat comes up to the run let alone a squirrel. Then on the other hand Bruce will bolt at any sign of danger. He is basically a wild rabbit though so I guess it is just instinct and the others are so domesticated they dont budge.

There was a thread about a week ago where someone had their shed torn apart by a fox. I shall try to find it...

But anyway, they had double layers of mesh and perspex with a lock on the top, middle and bottom of the door which had been gnawed and scrabbled at.

I don't personally thinj the run looks sturdy enough. Foxes are having to feed their cubs and this prolonged and cold winter will be making things worse, so they put a lot of effort into getting their meat.

Perhaps double meshing the run if it isn't already may make it more secure? I'd also want to weight it down a bit more in case they tried to lift it up.

this!

the fox also ripped the run around tube off!!! personally i wouldnt risk it they from the looks of things they have plenty of space in the shed for the night ;)

I would double mesh the run (as others have said) with 16 or 19g weld mesh and I would put one of those run around mesh boxes over/around the tunnel as well.

It really is a beautiful set up.

Back