• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Think I'm allergic to my bun :(

MistyBun1

Young Bun
I have never been allergic to an animal in my life & I've had horses, dogs, cats, guineas and bunnies tho never in the house before.

Ever since getting Mushroom, my eyes have been bugging me. Itchy and sore and I can't stop rubbing them. Doc gave me some Chloramphenicol ointment which I've used for a week with no change. So I went to see the optician today who thinks I'm having an allergic reaction. I'm convinced it's Mushroom that's the cause which scuppers my plans to have him as a house rabbit :(

I've taken a Piriton and put in some Allergy eye drops.

Anyone else allergic to their pets? How do you cope with it?

Oh no , sorry to hear this. I had five piggies who I absolutely adored. They lived in the living room in a huge c&c cage and were spoilt rotten and after having them over 2 years I suddenly became allergic. We had to move them outside and I was fine then but felt so guilty about them being outside. I think it was something in their wee or poo that I had the problem with because after cleaning them out on the first day my nose wouldn't be that blocked but as the days built up between cleaning I got worse.

Then one day I was sitting outside in the run with them and I was kneeling where there was some poops and my leg started to sting and I got a massive rash.

When you bring your mushroom up to your face do you get itchy around your noise or throat ? When I brought my piggies up to my face I got a funny sensation in my nose and throat that wasn't very pleasant at all :(

Is there any chance you could have developed an allergy to hay or the bunnies bedding ? xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

i am allergic to my buns and hay, not a good start to bunny ownership but heh-ho...

Am on anti-histamines daily and a nasal spray...

X

I am allergic to rabbits, not to a horrible degree, but I definitely get stuffy when I am around them. (and we have a house bun)

IF I have been petting or touching him, and if he licked my hand especially, and I touch around my eyes, my eyes get horribly itchy and feel like there is gravel in them.

If I rinse them out really well with plain water it stops.

I just have to be very constant about washing my hand after petting him, and keeping my hands away from my face until I DO wash them.

It's hard as he's always around looking for a pet, and I am always getting down nose to nose with him...then have to go off and wash my face, but it's worth it.

I don't know what I would do if just being around him made me stuffy and itchy eyed.

It could be the bedding/litter rather than him. Getting some one else to do the feeding/cleaning for a week might help you work it out.

If it's mild then simply scrubbing your hands/arm after handling might fix it, having an apron/over shirt whilst handling you can take off afterwards can help too.

I have never been allergic to an animal in my life & I've had horses, dogs, cats, guineas and bunnies tho never in the house before.

Ever since getting Mushroom, my eyes have been bugging me. Itchy and sore and I can't stop rubbing them. Doc gave me some Chloramphenicol ointment which I've used for a week with no change. So I went to see the optician today who thinks I'm having an allergic reaction. I'm convinced it's Mushroom that's the cause which scuppers my plans to have him as a house rabbit :(

I've taken a Piriton and put in some Allergy eye drops.

Anyone else allergic to their pets? How do you cope with it?

Hiya, I had cats all my life when I lived at home then one day I just suddenly reacted to them, like you I got sore, itchy eyes and skin where I touched them, also got sniffles and sneezing. Couldn't understand why I had suddenly become allergic, I just had to avoid touching them as much as poss and I'm sure I must have spent much of my time in my room where they didn't go so just avoided really which was horrible :( I did take antihistamines if it was bad, you can get them on prescription or I think there's an injection you can have if it's quite severe. Strangely though, I moved out but would still react when I went back, or if I went to anyone else's house id know immediately if they had a cat! But now, I work in a house with two cats (originally they had 4) and I'm fine now!! I do get itchy hands if I stroke them too much but I think a lot of that is because I have eczema on my hands anyway. If I pick up my rabbits, I do get itchy on my face and neck, but as I rarely pick them up it's not such a problem and they live outdoors. I think its different kinds of fur that can be worse. Sorry not much help but just wanted to let u know how mine suddenly disappeared so if u can put up with the symptoms you're getting, I'd wait a while and see if it goes away. I would maybe leave him living outdoors for the time being :(

Thanks for the input guys.

He's bedded on Carefresh cardboard bedding as he's a Lionhead x lop so it saves shavings sticking to him. The only other symptom I seem to have is a really itchy face. I've been given steroid cream for that. I do pick him up and cuddle him a lot cos he's pretty cuddleable but I didn't really make the connection til the optician asked if I had anything new arrive I could have reacted too.

The poster who suggested poo or wee, you maybe have something there as I do find the smell of his pee pretty strong and he's not really litter trained yet so I am cleaning up accidents as well as cage cleaning. Hubby says he'll deal with that for a few days and see if it helps.

I've been looking at hutches on various websites today so if it comes to it, we can give him a nice spacious home outside instead. I don't think it could be the hay as I'm used to that with having had horses for years but I guess allergies can develop all of a sudden.

Anyway, gratuitous pic of the wee fluffy!

I'm mildly allergic to some animals, including rabbits. When I first got Boris I was sneezing constantly for a week or so, but then it slowly got better. definitely wait and see. Also like others have said it could be the hay/bedding etc. and not the actual bun :) I still get sniffly around Bella sometimes and it usually happens when I've been sweeping or replacing the hay.

Anyway, gratuitous pic of the wee fluffy!
[/QUOTE]

OMG what a gorgeous gorgeous looking rabbit xxxxxxx

Gosh. Very impressed with you guys continuing to have bunnies despite an allergy. Thats true commitment there !! Xx

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

Aww what a lovely picture :love: I'm allergic to hay, I don't really do anything to prevent reactions, I just put up with it :oops: some days it's not too bad, but others it can be awful.

Back