• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need advice, put to sleep or rehome :'( UD Fuming with Richmond Vets! :@

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Flash has an abscess, quite a big one, I went to the vets today and they said he'd need to go under GA for a dental and to flush the abscess but it's possible the infection will have spread, he's old, and it wouldn't just be a one off thing :cry: I can't afford this at all and I don't think it's fair on him, so it's either put him down or rehome him :cry: But then I don't even know if a rescue would be able to afford the bills or if they'd just put him down and if my trio would even end up being rehomed

Please help I don't know what to do, I can't believe I might lose him :cry:

Last edited:
How old is he ?

Is palliative care an option- ie permanent systemic abx and pain relief whilst he remains 'ok within himself' and when the time comes that he is not coping PTS would be necessary.

How old is he ?

Is palliative care an option- ie permanent systemic abx and pain relief whilst he remains 'ok within himself' and when the time comes that he is not coping PTS would be necessary.

8, I have painkillers for now until I make my decision, I asked about keeping him on painkillers and antibiotics until I could see him deteriorating but she said she didn't think that would be fair on him and to try make a decision within the next week or so so I'm guessing his back teeth were pretty bad :cry:

I think in your situation, as sad as it may be, you have 2 options.

Pallative care for x amount of time (perhaps for your own needs, not bunny?)
PTS, as in the end, Quality of Life is going to be deteriorating and if teeth are in that bad a state and abcess is going to need constant care, it's going to be tough

I have to admit, if its not curable and his length of time left is negligible, I would PTS personally.

8, I have painkillers for now until I make my decision, I asked about keeping him on painkillers and antibiotics until I could see him deteriorating but she said she didn't think that would be fair on him and to try make a decision within the next week or so so I'm guessing his back teeth were pretty bad :cry:

:cry:

I would keep a close check on his input/output and also weigh him every couple of days. With pain relief he should at least remain reasonably comfortable. It will be a case of taking things one day at a time.

I am absolutely amazed at how caring and generous people can be, I've just been on the phone for ages with someone who used to run a rescue and now only takes on the odd rabbit. He needs to discuss it with his wife first but if it's okay with her he's willing to take Flash to frances-harcourt brown and then bond him into a large group he has :love: He's had rabbits with abscesses before and is confident that frances will be able to sort it, she sounds absolutely amazing

I am absolutely amazed at how caring and generous people can be, I've just been on the phone for ages with someone who used to run a rescue and now only takes on the odd rabbit. He needs to discuss it with his wife first but if it's okay with her he's willing to take Flash to frances-harcourt brown and then bond him into a large group he has :love: He's had rabbits with abscesses before and is confident that frances will be able to sort it, she sounds absolutely amazing

:D:D

Is he based in Dewsbury by any chance?

Yes, do you know them? :)

If we are talking Mick and Sue then yes, I've fostered for them a couple of times. I know they take complex cases to FHB and have had a quite a few treated for abscesses there. He's talked about people who have spent hundreds with vets who don't really know what they are doing to properly get rid of the abscess then Frances takes over and gets it sorted quickly and without it costing the earth. Flash would be in good hands on both counts.

If we are talking Mick and Sue then yes, I've fostered for them a couple of times. I know they take complex cases to FHB and have had a quite a few treated for abscesses there. He's talked about people who have spent hundreds with vets who don't really know what they are doing to properly get rid of the abscess then Frances takes over and gets it sorted quickly and without it costing the earth. Flash would be in good hands on both counts.

Oh okay :) I know with them he'd have a way better quality of life than he could with me, it's just such a relief, a few hours ago I was crying my eyes out trying to work out when I'd have to have him put down, and now he could have a brilliant chance

must be hard but at least you still get to hear news of him, and that there is somewhere where he is going where they know about the condition x

Dropped him off this morning, was very upsetting :( But the rabbits there look very well looked after, I just hope Flash doesn't bug them too much, most are pretty old and quiet, Flash is old too but still has the spirit of a horny 2 year old bun :oops:

We need to find out what his secret therapy is!? This would be so useful for many of us in the future. Please see if you can learn what he does !?!

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

So pleased that you have found such a good solution :D :thumb:

Best of luck Flash xxx

You'll have to keep us up to date on his progress if you can xx

We need to find out what his secret therapy is!? This would be so useful for many of us in the future. Please see if you can learn what he does !?!

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

Have you been to see Frances Harcourt-Brown? If she can't solve a rabbit problem no one can. The story he was telling me about is basically how many people spend so much money on pointless abscess treatments that don't work, or surgery done by vets who aren't very rabbit savvy then are cured by Frances, but she will be honest and tell you if the problems are one-off or likely to come back

So pleased that you have found such a good solution :D :thumb:

Best of luck Flash xxx

You'll have to keep us up to date on his progress if you can xx

I will do :) Hopefully he'll be off to the vets tomorrow if Mick feels well enough to drive. He seemed to settle in straight away, wasn't bothered by the other rabbits and i don't think he'd ever seen so much hay in his life, he was in a huge indoor cage so full of hay that he was sinking in it but he started eating it straight away so must of been nice stuff :lol:

Thought I'd update you all. So after Richmond vets (wakefield) told me that he had spurrs on his back teeth and really needed a dental and the abscess was probably at the back, and the abscess would probably just come back and put to sleep was the recommended option, he's been to Frances Harcourt-Brown. There is NOTHING wrong with his back teeth, the abscess is quite clearly (to a vet or someone who's dealt with abscesses before) too far towards the front of his mouth to be his back teeth, right in front of a bottom tooth that became misaligned about a year ago (again the vet would clearly of been able to see!). Frances suspects that there was some trauma to knock it slightly out of place and that's why it eventually got infected (he was eating fine and wearing the tooth down fine so i didn't see the vets when i first noticed it was out of place), and anyway she's removed the abscess and one of his bottom front teeth, was apparently very straightforward. And the reason he's not been showing any pain is probably because it was a front tooth so he could just use his back teeth for chewing his food

I nearly had to have my rabbit killed because of Richmond vets :evil: Safe to say I'm absolutely fuming! That vet stood there and checked all his back teeth whilst I was crying my eyes out at the thought of having to put him down as they told me how bad his back teeth were and how it'd be an ongoing problem

Thought I'd update you all. So after Richmond vets (wakefield) told me that he had spurrs on his back teeth and really needed a dental and the abscess was probably at the back, and the abscess would probably just come back and put to sleep was the recommended option, he's been to Frances Harcourt-Brown. There is NOTHING wrong with his back teeth, the abscess is quite clearly (to a vet or someone who's dealt with abscesses before) too far towards the front of his mouth to be his back teeth, right in front of a bottom tooth that became misaligned about a year ago (again the vet would clearly of been able to see!). Frances suspects that there was some trauma to knock it slightly out of place and that's why it eventually got infected (he was eating fine and wearing the tooth down fine so i didn't see the vets when i first noticed it was out of place), and anyway she's removed the abscess and one of his bottom front teeth, was apparently very straightforward. And the reason he's not been showing any pain is probably because it was a front tooth so he could just use his back teeth for chewing his food

I nearly had to have my rabbit killed because of Richmond vets :evil: Safe to say I'm absolutely fuming! That vet stood there and checked all his back teeth whilst I was crying my eyes out at the thought of having to put him down as they told me how bad his back teeth were and how it'd be an ongoing problem

this is awful :( i'd be fuming aswell. :evil:

are you going to get in touch with the vets to complain?

Back