• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thunder and Lightning and Rabbits

sparkyblue87

Young Bun
We have two outdoor rabbits, they are in their hutch, they have a plastic cover to keep them dry. It has started to Thunder and there has been lightning. The thunder has been very close and I am worried they will go into shock?

Any advice, we don't really have the set for them overnight and inside. I don't really want to keep them in their carriers.

What do you think?

I don't think I'd be comfortable keeping mine outdoors. Have you got a room you good just keep them in overnight?

I don't think I'd be comfortable keeping mine outdoors. Have you got a room you good just keep them in overnight?

Yeah we do, I am going to leave it until I go to bed and if the weather is bad still bring them in. Just want to prevent this if I can due to massive temperature change.

Mine have never been phased by it tbh. I would be more worried, like you said, about the temperature change if you brought them inside as you would need to make sure the room they are in is cold enough for them.

Us humans always worry about things that the bunnies couldn't care less about really :lol: I was worried about the wind scaring Lola but when I looked in the shed at about 11pm she was flopped out in the middle!

My 3 were playing out in hail with the thunder tonight:roll: I had to find my coat and shoes so I could go and shooo them back into their shed

I don't think I've ever had a bun that's afraid of thunder. I have cats, dogs and ducks that are though :? We get thunderstorms nearly everyday in the summer and it's often really loud. Must just not be something buns are typically afraid of.

I wouldn't want to bring them indoors, not just because of temperature change, but they could pick up on you reacting differently when there are thunderstorms and that could maybe make them anxious when there's thunderstorms. Like I know with most animals you should just act normally about scary things. They see that you're relaxed so they stay relaxed.

I think they get used to it to be honest, I've never done anything different during storms, and they always seem to cope fine.

Back