• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dirty Bottom

sun_city_girl

Warren Veteran
So noticed this evening that Bun had a messy bottom, a clump of dried matted poo stuck there. Bun has never had this problem before and he is still eating and pooping as normal and behaving his complete normal self but obviously is either having problems cleaning himself or getting his caecals or maybe producing too many, he has no incisors so am wondering is thats affecting his ability to clean but also his eyes have been a bit more watery in the last couple of days, so am now wondering if his molars are playing him up although not sure how they would result in a messy bum. he eats excel pellets probably more than he should, hay and herbs every day but this has never been a problem before...any ideas greatfully appreciated? am off tomorrow so will see if I can get him a check up at the vets....

So noticed this evening that Bun had a messy bottom, a clump of dried matted poo stuck there. Bun has never had this problem before and he is still eating and pooping as normal and behaving his complete normal self but obviously is either having problems cleaning himself or getting his caecals or maybe producing too many, he has no incisors so am wondering is thats affecting his ability to clean but also his eyes have been a bit more watery in the last couple of days, so am now wondering if his molars are playing him up although not sure how they would result in a messy bum. he eats excel pellets probably more than he should, hay and herbs every day but this has never been a problem before...any ideas greatfully appreciated? am off tomorrow so will see if I can get him a check up at the vets....

Molar problems would be high on my list of suspects. If he is overweight that could be another contributory factor as could the possibility of osteoarthritis. Excel pellets are known to cause problems with excess cecals in some Rabbits

Good luck at the Vets

Yes it sounds like teeth, they could cause both. As Jane said a few people on here have had problems with Excel pellets so it might be worth slowly switching to another brand

Talking from my own experience only I would agree with what Jane suspects.

Bee was fine in himself, running around, binking, devouring his hay etc then he was quiet the following morning checked and he had a messy bottom straight to the vets and it was his molars so he had his dental and has been doing well ever since. He has had previous dentals but showed no signs that one was needed so I would personally say a vet check just to check the teeth :)

Hope this makes sense :wave:

I agree, my rabbit has always had a really smelly bottom she had her back teeth out last week and suddenly it seems so much better? I too wonder if it could be a dental issue. x

Back