• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Going to a rescue - what to look for?

After the recent loss of our beloved bunny we are thinking of adopting. We did not intend to have a bunny in our lives before, he came for a 2 week holiday and never went back. We learnt a lot on the job, and made mistakes that we learnt from, but we tried to give him the best life we could and had 8 beautiful years with him.

We are now ready to look at adopting from a rescue. We will be looking at neutered pairs, but apart from that I am wondering if there is anything else we need to consider or be aware of when making a choice, as like I say, we did not choose to have our last bunny, he just came into our lives, for which I was extremely grateful. I don't want a choice to be purely based on looks, cos looks aren't everything I know! What should I look for or ask about?

Are there better pairings? If they have been together longer is there more chance of them staying together? Are there any breeds that are more prone to health issues? I am thinking these are the types of things to question? Is there anything we should avoid looking at?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have just gone for the pair that I have fallen in love with. It has worked very well. I now have eight rabbits. Two male female pairs and a quad (an m/m pair that I bonded with an f/f pair).

I have heard it said that m/f is the easiest bond, followed by m/m and f/f is the least easy. But ofcourse there are always different view points!

Good luck in your search. :wave:

Back