• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What breed?

she's a year old and I'm not to sure on her weight. She's pregnant at the moment and wanted to find her breed to put on the advert when it comes to selling the babies. She was bred by the first bunny so not to sure what the breed of the kits would be. :)

she's a year old and I'm not to sure on her weight. She's pregnant at the moment and wanted to find her breed to put on the advert when it comes to selling the babies. She was bred by the first bunny so not to sure what the breed of the kits would be. :)

Hello :)

I assume it was an accidental mating as not knowing the genetic background of two Rabbits deliberately mated would be very irresponsible. So many genetic health problems can occur and unless the Breeder is very selective in which Rabbits they have in their stud then serious health and welfare issues can result from a mating of two Rabbits of unknown background.

So, back to going on the assumption that this mating was an accident, then I would first make sure that the Doe and all her kits are healthy before you even think about selling them. Possible problems could involve congenital Dental disease and this would be a lifetime condition that the Kits would have. Selling a Kit with congenital dental problems could mean that they have a lot of suffering if the buyer is not VERY experienced with caring for Rabbits and also prepared for the significant financial outlay that will be required to treat the condition for all of the Rabbit's life.

So for now I would get your Buck castrated so no more 'accidents' . He will remain fertile for up to 6 weeks AFTER castration, so it is very important to keep him well away from your Doe during that time. Concentrate on the welfare of the Rabbits you have and will be brining into the world, think about the selling once you have done all you can to minimise the risk to the Kits with regards to any potential congenital problems.

Once the Kits are weaned and the Doe has had a few weeks to recover from the nursing she can be spayed and hopefully eventually she can be re-united with the Buck. You may have to keep the Kits too, if any health issues are detected or if you are unable to find homes for them. All homes would need to be vetted to make sure that they are able to provide appropriate accommodation and care.

These threads would be useful to read

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...re-considering-breeding-then-please-read-this

Last edited:
thanks for the reply and yes it was an accident. i got sold the female rabbit as a male by mistake and originally wanted the male to slowly get used to the other, but had separate hutches. I've taken the rabbit to the vets and she had an ultra scan and to see if she was ok, everything was fine. there both in separate hutches still and i have got two other hutches which are quite large for the babies to go in at 6 weeks. I messaged the previous owner and she has told me the rabbit is a dwarf lop. my male rabbit came from pets at home and he's handled well, but not to sure on the breed. :)

thanks for the reply and yes it was an accident. i got sold the female rabbit as a male by mistake and originally wanted the male to slowly get used to the other, but had separate hutches. I've taken the rabbit to the vets and she had an ultra scan and to see if she was ok, everything was fine. there both in separate hutches still and i have got two other hutches which are quite large for the babies to go in at 6 weeks. I messaged the previous owner and she has told me the rabbit is a dwarf lop. my male rabbit came from pets at home and he's handled well, but not to sure on the breed. :)

He is a mixed breed :)

Back