• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anybody like snakes (adders)? *pic heavy*

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
I'm not sure this belongs in this section or the "general chat" section, so apologies. I hope a mod will move it if need be. :)

So....I went snake hunting today with my Dad. We tried last weekend but had absolutely no luck. This time was different and we managed to see 6 snakes! :shock: I managed to photograph 5 of them and thought I'd share for those who like our native wildlife. :thumb: These are all adders, which are actually vipers, so are venomous. We found all of these basking in the sun after a cold night and they weren't in the least bit bothered about us. This is the first time I've seen adders for years and years (and the first time I've photographed them). I can't believe how successful we were in finding them! :D

#

This is the first one I found. I couldn't believe it when I saw it..I nearly stood on the daft thing! It was in a pretty awkward position, so I didn't get many shots of it. You will notice on this one, and some of the others, that their eyes look "milky", this is because they are about to shed. You can also tell because their skin looks pale and "washed out".

This is the second one I found, a big, dark coloured one. This one barely even moved as we approached. The bigger they are the longer it takes them to warm up, so it was still quite sluggish.

This one was in another awkward position. :lol: It was quite warmed up by the time we found it, and it shot off into undergrowth when some other people approached. It's amazing how fast they can be.

I think this was the biggest one we found, and very photogenic so I have a few snaps of this one. :lol: It moved off into the undergrowth after a little while, but it sat half in-half out, watching us. :lol:

This next pic is very interesting. The snake is very brightly coloured, having just shed. You can see some lose skin still hanging from it! Absolutely amazing. It's head is in the bracken, so this is just a pic of it's body coiled up in the sun.

Here is it's head.

I had a 500mm lens, so I am not as close as the pics make out. I have also cropped most of them. Please never approach an adder too close or try to pick them up! Their bite is worse than a wasp sting and some people can have reactions to them and can die. :shock: Always worth watching your (and your dog's) step when you are out and about in adder country! :thumb:

Wow! I love snakes, I think they're really beautiful, the patterns are just incredible. I think I would be a little un-nerved by coming across one like this though :lol:

Wow! Fantastic pics Vegan_Bunny! :wave:

Aren't they stunning? You've really got some great shots. My fav is no.6... :love::thumb:

I love adders. I only saw some once a couple years ago at a king cobra sanctuary in Nottingham though. Never wild ones :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone.

Our native reptiles are notoriously elusive. I was very lucky to be told exactly where, how and when to see these snakes. :) I'm pretty good at spotting things once I have seen them for myself. Being told how to see things is all very well, but it's nothing compared with actually seeing them. The first 3 were seen at a place that is pretty well known for adders, and I'd been told specifically about one hill where they were regularly seen by a very experienced wildlife watcher and photographer. Today was a simply perfect day to see them.
After we left this place, we decided to use our new found skills to do a reccy of somewhere that we had known used to have a lot of adders. In fact, years ago, there use to be signs up warning people of the snakes because children sometimes got bitten. :shock: It was late in the morning, so we didn't expect to see any, but wanted to see if we could find some ideal places for any future snake hunts. :lol:
The first place we checked was where that big, pale coloured snake was. No wonder people got bitten..it didn't seem to have any fear. It slink off into the bracken a bit but just sat there half in, half out as if it was thinking "meh...this will do."

Not a very good pic, but this is the large one kinda stretched out. You might be able to get a better idea of size.

Brilliant photos! Thank you for sharing - so kool! I've only seen adders once and was lucky enough to see the fighting/mating (I forget which it is?!) where they coil around each other. It was amazing... Only had my small camera so not as good photos as yours!

Wow!!! That is fantastic. I think it's 2 males fighting, the females tend to have brown zigzags, whereas the males tend to have black. :thumb:

Wow, amazing photos! I've never seen a snake in this country.

My dad once took an adder away from a group of children that were playing with it. :shock: Later, the kid's dad knocked on the door, not to thank him, but to shout at him for spoiling his kid's fun! :shock: He didn't know or care how venomous an adder is and was very angry at my dad!

I love snakes! :lol:

For some reason though seeing bits of shed skin make me want to actually be sick :shock:

Back