• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Galen's garden recommendations

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
I've put this in rabbit chat rather than diet as I'd like recommendations from people who've bought it, rather than advice about whether it's suitable. Hope that's okay!

Basically I'm looking for some recommendations for N&T. They've never been amazing hay eaters, but always eaten enough to keep their teeth at an okay level. They're really not bothered about anything dried though if I give it them separately - I've tried all sorts of dry forage/herbs and they're totally not interested unless it's mixed in with their hay and they don't have anything better to eat. They do like most fresh things - whether it be forage such as dandelion, or herbs etc.

I'd quite like something to add to their hay to make it smell extra nice sometimes, and add some variety. I'd like it to be quite smelly and fascinating. They do enjoy eating dry leaves off the grass :)roll:) and they are enjoying the leafy bits of some camomile hay I bought from P@H, so I'm thinking leaves? There's so many leaves though, does anyone have any suggestions? http://galensgarden.co.uk/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=leaf Does anyone also have any recommendations of non leafy things that went down a treat with their bunnies when mixed in with hay, especially if they're fussy with dried stuff? The dried kale or broccoli looks like it might be quite easy to mix in with hay. I'd rather not buy dried fruit or veg as whenever they get any they go mental and forget that any other food exists :roll: I've tried mixing dried fruit/veg into their hay before and they just destroy the hay to get at the good bits... :roll:

The pellets look pretty interesting but I'm going to stick with science selective and fibafirst, so I won't bother getting any of them.

The grass/hay cobs look pretty interesting. N&T aren't overly bothered by hay cakes/cookies but they will rip them up - do these smell a bit more interesting, and might stimulate them a bit more? The grass/hay bricks look quite good in terms of price - are they nice? The hay cookies are often really dry and don't smell nice, these look much nicer! Is it easy to break them into several bits to give just a bit at a time?

Does anyone have a rough size of how much you get when you buy 100g of a type of leaf?

Help :lol:

I've bought lots!!

I think I exhausted some of their supplies over the winter when I was desperate for forage :lol:

Anyhow, this may not be a total answer to your questions but this is what I've had.

Blackberry leaves (before I started picking my own!)
Raspberry leaves
Strawberry leaves
Broadleaf plantain (wild cut and organic)
Ribwort plantain
Agrimony
Mixed herbs (crumbled)

Hector simply does not eat hay. He eats all of the above (save agrimony) but he does have "favourites" - blackberry and Ribwort plantain.

You could crumble these into hay I guess :)

In terms of size - think of a normal shoes box, I think you'd get 4 bags in if that helps. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back