• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bad patient after neutering

xlizx

New Kit
Twiggy was neutered yesterday and has been a bit of a difficult patient :roll: We dropped him off at 9:30, then picked him up at 2:30, as soon as we got him he was manically biting at his wounds. We took him back to the vets straight away, they glued his wound up as he had managed to bite it open, gave him an injection of pain relief and some metacam to take home, he hadn't eaten anything so he has some soft food to syringe feed him, he also hadn't been to the toilet so they gave him something for that too, they also put a cone on him to stop him from biting his wound. After all of this he is not a happy bunny.

Now he still hasn't been to the toilet, should I be worried?

He managed to get his cone off of his head in the night so I have no idea if he managed to do any damage to his wounds or not, he hasn't been biting at his wounds this morning so I haven't put the cone back on yet, so I don't know whether the biting was down to them not giving him pain relief to begin with? Ive given him some metacom this morning, and right now he's sitting quite happily on his cushion, no sign of biting. Do you think I need to do anything about this?

He probably bit at his wounds because of the lack of pain relief, vets should give pain relief before sending bunnies home and send home metacam to administer at home, he must feel so much better now :thumb: I'd see if you can check his wound in case it needs attention, I'd leave the collar off if he's not biting at himself now.

Is he eating and drinking now? Or when was he last syringe fed? he probably needs some metacloperamide to stimulate his gut if he isn't eating. Have you tried tempting him with his favourite foods, herbs, etc? Hopefully the metacam will perk him up :thumb: sending vibes to him

Sending healing vibes for Twiggy. Hope he behaves himself today and I am sure he will soon be eating etc normally.

He probably bit at his wounds because of the lack of pain relief, vets should give pain relief before sending bunnies home and send home metacam to administer at home, he must feel so much better now :thumb: I'd see if you can check his wound in case it needs attention, I'd leave the collar off if he's not biting at himself now.

Is he eating and drinking now? Or when was he last syringe fed? he probably needs some metacloperamide to stimulate his gut if he isn't eating. Have you tried tempting him with his favourite foods, herbs, etc? Hopefully the metacam will perk him up :thumb: sending vibes to him

Worth mentioning that some vets don't send metacam to adminster at home, they do all pain relief by injection. :wave:

I do hope he gets well soon, it sounds like you've got things in hand.

Since having the pain relief he hasn't touched his wounds at all, so he's quite happy he doesn't have to wear the cone, he's started eating again today and has been to the toilet so he seems to be back on track with the healing. Just wish they would have give him the pain relief to begin with, I should have asked really but I didn't think :( thank you all for the good vibes :)

Spoke to soon, he's a bit of a bad day today, he started biting his wound again today and its looking really raw and weepy so I've put the cone back on, on top of that he's now got diarhea:( I phoned the emergency vet and they just said to go to my vets tomorrow, so worried about him

Spoke to soon, he's a bit of a bad day today, he started biting his wound again today and its looking really raw and weepy so I've put the cone back on, on top of that he's now got diarhea:( I phoned the emergency vet and they just said to go to my vets tomorrow, so worried about him

Hi,
Really sorry to hear your buns not doing well! :( I'm a vet student (with a house bunny) and we've just done some neutering practice at uni but not certain I'd be loads of help.
Is he still on metacam or any pain relief? It might be worth asking what his premeds were as pain relief in the premeds tends to make them do better afterwards. I'm not certain what peoples opinions on cones were but we got told that rabbits and cones generally don't mix as they stress them out and make them less keen on eating - if he's not eating at the moment it might be worth giving him some time without it and just keeping an eye on him while it's off.
I think at the moment he definitely needs some more pain relief and a vet check ASAP, hope he's feeling better soon!

Hi,
Really sorry to hear your buns not doing well! :( I'm a vet student (with a house bunny) and we've just done some neutering practice at uni but not certain I'd be loads of help.
Is he still on metacam or any pain relief? It might be worth asking what his premeds were as pain relief in the premeds tends to make them do better afterwards. I'm not certain what peoples opinions on cones were but we got told that rabbits and cones generally don't mix as they stress them out and make them less keen on eating - if he's not eating at the moment it might be worth giving him some time without it and just keeping an eye on him while it's off.
I think at the moment he definitely needs some more pain relief and a vet check ASAP, hope he's feeling better soon!

Thank you, he is still on the metacam they have also given him antibotics and have said that he has bruised the area quite badly. We have been letting him have time without it so he can have a wash of him self as it seems that annoying him most, the problem is when ever we take the cone off he bites his wounds that's the only reason he has it, he has bitten it open twice now. He seems to be eating OK now which is good, and the vet has said it is proabably his caecotrophes and not diarrhea and that the cone is stopping him from being able to get to his caecotrophes. He has another check up Friday

Thank you, he is still on the metacam they have also given him antibotics and have said that he has bruised the area quite badly. We have been letting him have time without it so he can have a wash of him self as it seems that annoying him most, the problem is when ever we take the cone off he bites his wounds that's the only reason he has it, he has bitten it open twice now. He seems to be eating OK now which is good, and the vet has said it is proabably his caecotrophes and not diarrhea and that the cone is stopping him from being able to get to his caecotrophes. He has another check up Friday

Antibiotics are a good idea, sorry I can't be of much help :( I'm sure he'll be ok soon! Mines booked in for castration in a couple of weeks and I know he'll be awful too!

Antibiotics are a good idea, sorry I can't be of much help :( I'm sure he'll be ok soon! Mines booked in for castration in a couple of weeks and I know he'll be awful too!

Thank you for your help, and good luck to your bun hope it all goes well, sending goo vibes your way. Twiggy's medication ended on Sunday and hes doing brilliantly, he's got his appetite back and has begging for food today and has been licking me and running around doing binkys and needless to say he's happy he never has to see the cone again, I was really worried that we would just carry on going down hill

Thank you for your help, and good luck to your bun hope it all goes well, sending goo vibes your way. Twiggy's medication ended on Sunday and hes doing brilliantly, he's got his appetite back and has begging for food today and has been licking me and running around doing binkys and needless to say he's happy he never has to see the cone again, I was really worried that we would just carry on going down hill

That's brill! Glad he's doing so well :) makes me less worried about getting ferg done! :)

Back