• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Loss

vicky_26

Warren Scout
So I lost my little Poppy this week.... Never knew I would be so very upset. The place just isn't the same without her.

However, I have Parker to think of now and it is my number 1 priority to make sure she's ok and happy. As well as all the upset over Poppy I'm now worried that Parker is going to be lonely as she's on her own now. I can't bear the thought of her being on her own and so I fully intend to get her a companion... But I don't want to rush in to anything or seem like I am quick to replace Poppy. Do rabbits get lonely? Am I overthinking things? Should I get her a new companion sooner rather than later?

Also, due to how I lost Poppy I am now paranoid about Parker. Was thinking of taking her to the vets in a couple weeks for a check up and to make sure her teeth are ok. Parker has had dentals in the past and was fine and I know they are both very different rabbits but the thought of her having to have another one is frightening. I did find out today that the vet thunks Poppy May have had an underlying lung problem so I guess it wasn't straight forward dental as they thought.

Sorry I'm babbling.... My head is so full of different things and thoughts and I just needed to put it in writing.....

The joy and love we get from our pets is second to none and I wouldn't change it for the world but having to deal with their loss is unbearable.... xx

I'm so sorry. :(

There's no harm in giving yourself a bit of time but, yes, a bunny companion might be a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there,
I know how you feel, I was exactly the same when I lost my bun, my mind was so mixed up I couldn't think straight. Just give yourself some time. I found my remaining bun was ready for a new friend long before I was ready, but just go with your instincts. We went to the rescue for bunny dating after just one week, I just wanted to try because my boy seemed lonely, or rather I thought he seemed lonely. He groomed his new lady within a few minutes so it turned out to be the right thing for him. I took a little while to bond with my new bun though, but that came with time too.
I'm sorry you lost Poppy, it is a very sad time.
Good luck x

I am so sorry you lost Poppy.

I too lost a bunny last summer, also called Poppy. She behind her brother Will. He didn't show any obvious signs of grieving, but I have heard that some rabbits do. We took Will on a speed bunny dating session at the rescue he came from as we didn't want him to be alone. This was after 2 weeks. This was far too soon for me, but not Will, he chose Nancy, his second date. It took me a while to 'bond' with her as I felt she was replacing Poppy.

I received lots of support about these feelings from other RU members. What I remember most is that Poppy's lasting legacy to rabbits is that 2 have been helped - Nancy and whoever took her rescue space.

I have grown to love Nancy - she is totally different character to Poppy.

I hope this has come across ok and I'm sure you will do what's best for you and Parker. Another reason we only waited 2 weeks is because my rabbits aren't house bunnies and I wanted Will to be settled with a new friend before it turned cold.

Hugs to you and cuddles for Parker.

So sorry for your loss :(

Maybe for the time being, until you are ready, you could get a cuddly toy bunny for Parker? A lot of bunnies enjoy a cuddly toy companion and it might help a little.

Some bunnies cope better with loss than others, and need a new partner sooner - you know Parker best, so will be able to see if she looks our of sorts, in which case a new friend might be better sooner.

(((hugs)))

Back