• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! My rabbit ate a cactus!

Ozzy

New Kit
My rabbit ate a small portion of cactus, thorns and all.
She seems to be okay so far and has eaten hay and greens and drank normally since then. She has also defecated and her pellets seem normal. The thorns were very tiny but there were a lot of them.
I have called where I got the cactus to get more information about the type that it is.

If she starts to show any signs of discomfort I will take her to the vet. Is there anything else I should do for her just as a precaution?

OMG! What are they like?? :roll:

Generally speaking I think you keep a very close eye and take to the vets at the first sign of discomfort.

Mine once ate a sachet of effervescent medicine. Amazingly she was ok.

Oh bunny, how daft! Hope he's ok. They eat brambles quite happily so maybe aren't too troubled by a bit of spikiness?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

For what it's worth. I live in the desert with all manner of cactus here and the wild rabbits certainly do eat them (as well as other critters), and as far as I know, no cacti are poisoness.

But them do tend to eat the long spined one's over the one's with the tiny prickles.

Back