• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Both my babies aren't well :(

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Jimby stopped eating on Friday so we started meds and he slowly and started to pick at food so we carried on with the meds.
He was much better by Monday evening so under vets advice we stopped meds.
Cookie stopped eating on Wednesday so we started meds and we had a vets appointment on Thursday for a health check.
The vet couldnt find a reason for her anorexia so told us to continue and to stsrt syringe feeding too.
When we got home Jimby went backwards due to the stress so needed some metaclopramide, he is eating herbs and hay but no pellets or treats.
We have stopped meds now to avoid any further stress.
Cookie hasnt eaten and by the looks of it she hasnt pooed either so we are continuing with meds and syringe feeds.
Last night she wouldnt tolerate it and we only managed to get about 2ml in to her.
This morning around 7.30am she had about 8-10ml.

How often would you advise us to syringe feed?

Please can we have some vibes for my little treasures?

Were their teeth checked? Remember that you can't see all the teeth when doing a conscious check. Selective feeding is a sign of dental problems.

Keep trying to temp cookie with her favourite foods. Some fresh forage is always worth a go. Keep shoving it under her nose, she may eventually take a bite out of it, even if it's just to get it away from her. Syringe feeding needs to be done every couple of hours, I think. I've only needed to d this once with Shadowfax, but she was eating tiny amounts. She got very, very stressed with it, so I only did it every now and again, to make sure her guts didn't stop completely.

Were their teeth checked? Remember that you can't see all the teeth when doing a conscious check. Selective feeding is a sign of dental problems.

Keep trying to temp cookie with her favourite foods. Some fresh forage is always worth a go. Keep shoving it under her nose, she may eventually take a bite out of it, even if it's just to get it away from her. Syringe feeding needs to be done every couple of hours, I think. I've only needed to d this once with Shadowfax, but she was eating tiny amounts. She got very, very stressed with it, so I only did it every now and again, to make sure her guts didn't stop completely.

Yes both their teeth were checked, the vet was extremely thorough and did see a few spurs on her molours but they were not cutting in so he wasnt worried.
I tried that with herbs last night and all she did was rub her chin on it and bite it away. We are working on syring feeds every 3 hours, ketofen once every 24hrs, metaclopramide every 8 hours and Zantac every 8 hours.

If she is still not pooing I would take her back to the Vet for re-examination of her abdomen. If you keep putting food in and nothing is moving things could get much worse

She may benefit from fluid therapy and medication given by injection. Oral meds will be useless if the Rabbit has 'shut down'.

Also, it is only possible to accurately view about 70% of a Rabbit's oral cavity whilst they are awake. So it is possible that the spurs that can be seen are not the only ones present.

Vibes for Cookie. Its such a worry when they are ill.

Good luck at the vets. Some rabbits wont eat with spurs even if they arent cutting them. My Mottle (who is my little darling) had some spurs filed even though the only sign that something was wrong was a weepy eye. I didnt want to leave it long enough to cause him pain.

Glad that Jimby is recovering x

Been to the vets and the vet could not feel any obstructions but her tummy was noticeably tender.
We have to keep going with the meds and syringe feeding.
My poor girl. :(

Back