• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Traumatised Rabbit

Bellatrix18

Warren Scout
Hi everyone

I have a little wild bun called Logan. Usually he is the most laid back happy-go-lucky little guy but he had a sofa in his room that he had eaten pretty badly. I took it to the skip last weekend and replaced it with a large sofa sized cardboard box so he still had something to sit on and hide behind. But since the couch has gone he's been like a different rabbit. I almost rushed him to the vets because he wasn't eating properly. He has now started eating again but his poos are a lot smaller and darker than the usual big golden ones I'm used to seeing. I've had a look at his teeth and he doesn't seem to be having trouble chewing so I think it's all stress related.

He sits in one corner (away from the new box thing) and runs away when I come to see him. It's been a week now and no change. What can I do to help him get better. I have sprinkled his old litter around his room. I have tried sitting quietly with him and he does calm down a bit, but then I get up to leave and he freaks out again. Then the next time I go to see him he's running around in fear. I have never seen him like this and I'm really scared :(

Has anyone had a situation like this or have any advice about what I can do?? I worried to do anything drastic in case it upsets him more and pushes him into full blown stasis.

Aww, poor chap. I think I'd go with Jane and try removing the box. He probably doesn't make any association with it being like the sofa, just that it's big and weird smelling. Maybe try a smaller box that he can avoid/get used to more easily.

Is there something that smells like you you could use to add cover eg a box that's been in your room or maybe a laundry basket - maybe that would work.

You could also try leaving an old tshirt you'd warn for him to snuggle with and try and spend extra time with him - if you act relaxed in the room it should help him relax.

Back