• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another late night with Lola :( stomach pressing Update: feeling much better :) .

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
I stayed up late on the Internet tonight, was just about to go to bed when I found Lola stomach pressing :( her tummy feels very soft (abnormally so) and has gurgled loudly.

Today she has been a little quiet but mostly normal, she sometimes has these really sleepy days every now and then so I put it down to that. I have tried to get her to run around abit and massage her tummy, is there anything else I can do at the moment?? She is not one for handling, so is not too happy at the massaging.

Thank goodness I decided to stay up later than normal else I would have gone to bed none the wiser and who knows what I could have found in the morning. As per usual all knowledge I can think of other than the above has left my brain and I am sat having the shakes :( this anxiety comes out of nowhere over the bunnies :oops::(

The emergency vet is over 40 mins away, but I would like to avoid that if I can as it means waking up the children and OH to take us again. She will see our vet first thing in the morning :( time feels like it is going so slowly right now :(

Last edited:
She has groomed a little, produced a small wee and is sitting a little more normally now, but is ignoring her hay even when I wave it infront of her mouth, but she is annoyed with me for bugging her into running round the room so that could be do with that.

I just realised I gave her carrot yesterday, she had been having problems a while ago with big squishy misformed ceacs which I narrowed down to coincide with giving her carrot the night before (they only ever have a small bit). Why did I give it to her yesterday. I am so stupid :evil:

I completely realise it is extremely late and not many people will venture on to here at this time, but I have to get my thoughts out while I am so anxious and there is no on awake at home to talk to :( :oops:

Is the medicine she will need in the morning metaclopromide (providing the vet can feel no blockage) and metacam for pain? Anything else I have forgotten?? It has been quite a while since this has happened to any of my buns.

I have got her confiscated fleece house thing down for her, She absolutely loves this thing, and treats it as a bunny friend. (I had to take it away when she started to eat it! I moved it to where she could see it but not reach to eat)

She has just bounced over to see it and is sniffing and grooming it :love: and is nibbling on a piece of hay. Maybe as I put her 'friend' next to a pile of hay and she thinks she is joining in eating with it!

ETA:It is now 4.00am and we are still up! Lola is alert and listening to me, but still preferring to sit under a little table although a little more comfortably looking now at least. I tried to put a blanket near her to keep her warm but she ran away from it.

I really need some sleep now as I need to be up in a few hours to get ready for the vet. Really hoping she can get through another couple of hours as she is. My 10 year old will be up at 6.30 and I don't want her to have to find a poorly or worse Lola :( Thank you anyone who may have read my late night panicky ramblings xxxx

Last edited:
Hello. My knowledge isn't great, but I'm sending vibes and love. I'm so sorry this has happened but please don't beat yourself up. *hugs*

You haven't mentioned anything about her poo, has she poo'd ? What comes out is as important as what goes in.

I hope that she is feeling better by now, but even if she is brighter if she has not poo'd or if her poos are very small I'd still get the Vet to check her over. Is she a known 'Dental Rabbit' ? It could be that Dental issues are the primary cause of her problem. So a Dental check by the Vet would also be advisable.

Good luck :)

Oh no it sounds like you've had a worrying night :cry: hope Lola has eaten overnight and is feeling better at the moment, sending vibes xx

Thank you all I really appreciate your replies xxx I really hate how anxious I get over the bunnies, it is embarrassing reading my late night postings back to myself in the morning sometimes :oops: they always seem to save something like this for late at night, which heightens my anxiety I think as the vet isn't so easily reachable.

Just before I finally went to bed (at 4.30 :shock: ) I got her moving again and her stomach went back to feeling normal and less empty/soft and squishy and she was alert and moving round her pen. This morning she is a completely different bunny, she's eaten her pellets, poo'd (she had only produced slightly smaller ones yesterday) and is bouncing around eating her hay.

I almost thought I dreamt last night until I saw her extra bowl of water I put out and a pile of hay under the living room little table. :shock:

She is not a known dental bunny no, but there is always that possibility. I wonder if it was caused by her having carrot the night before and then a really sleepy day not moving around much that caused some gas to get trapped.

Thank you Helen x

She has stayed well today aswell thankfully, it is as if nothing was ever wrong. I think it must have been gas that got dispersed by me hassling her into moving and trying little massages when she would let me. Her stomach feels lovely and full and normal again :) her abdomen just felt like a deflated balloon or empty squishy sack when it happened. No more carrots for Lola just incase it was that!

Its such a worry when they are ill. I totally understand you getting anxious especially when its late at night.

Glad she is back to normal. You were a very dedicated nurse for her.

this is happening right now to me. leah is displaying the same symptoms. just gave her metacam. gonna try and give her some tummy massage, although like lola she doesnt like to be touched.

Back