• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit run variations?

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Our rabbits have been stuck inside in hutches or smallish run over most of the winter due to the weather and my mum's illness. We still have some trees to be cut down, after the storm as they are lying on top of some runs but we hope to get the rabbits out soon.
We have 3 aviary style runs 3 times 8ft by 2 ft hutches with 8x8 runs underneath, we have one 6x2 run ( low for less abled rabbits) built into an 8x8 run and finally 3 time 4x4 Wendy houses to build into 8x6 runs.

Are there any other variations we can show, I hope to do a rabbit awareness day here and show people all the different ways to house rabbits outside, without using a 2 tiered hutch from P@H, which is where most people buy from.

How about showing (on pictures if necessary) a hutch with a run using a runaround pipe as a link? If someone's wanting to adopt a rabbit and for example already has a hutch and a run of the correct sort of size but not linked, they can then buy a runaround if it's easier to connect the two.

I'm afraid I was one of those people who bought a two tiered hutch from P@H.

I currently don't have an attached run so am really interested in what options I have with the limited space I have too :D

Most people will start with a P@H type hutch if they are new to rabbits, but these can be added to - here's some pics of how our housing developed - we started with 2 x 2 tiered P@H hutches, and just gradually kept upgrading :)

We started with just the hutches and separate runs, then we built the aviary and put the hutches in there (half the aviary per pair of bunnies) so that they could have a lot more space. We ended up panneling 3 sides of the aviary to weather proof it.

With a concrete floor it was nice and secure.

We added gardens on the front for extra play space.

It keeps getting upgraded.

I need to get some more pics on PB as they now have perspex shutters for the gardens and other small changes. It has wood on the 2 sides and back now, and wood inside on the side walls, and different gates now, etc :lol:

But I'm saving up for a big new shed (it's a slow job!) which I have grand designs for :D

Back