• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spaced out fits/drifting?

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
Posting on behalf of another bunny lover! She’s just taken on her 8th bunny who was found wandering around lost and no one came to claim her. She looks like a youngish 1-2yr old dwarf lop. My friend spent a while watching her as she settled in and she noticed a very subtle behaviour, like she phases out with a slight drift motion to the left or right or a bit of both. It only lasts about a second or so and she snaps out of it. She also snaps out of it if you disturb her.

I’ve heard a few people mention their bunnies have spaced out ‘fits’, does this sound like the same thing? The other thing we were considering is that she is now in a new environment and we wondered if she was trying to figure out the mesh of the run and looking past it or something, as her ears are ever so slightly forward when she does it. Not like the normal thrust the loppy ears forward and approach cautiously.

Any thoughts very welcome thanks :D

I think Jane is on the same thing but could it be scanning?

A bun with poor sight will 'scan' which is keeping their head perfectly level but sort of sweeping it side to side, I think it has something to do with depth perception. It is most common in buns with red eyes so REWs are particularly prone but I have a grey lion lop that does it too.

I will watch this thread with interest as many years ago I had a beautiful girl bun Ash, who did this and I never had any idea why. (This is 20 years ago so way back before we knew as much about rabbits as we do now).

I can't remember her eyes so much but she had the most unique colouring I have ever seen. Her parents were black and white Dutch crosses and she was a purpley/lilac/grey colour! Her siblings were a mix of black/white brown and ginger colours. She changed quite alot with her moult aswell but always had this purple look about her. :love:

My REW does it. I was worried at first but shes fine, she looks like shes away with the fairies then shes back. She also scans, where she slowly moves her head as if watching something .

I remember asking on here a couple of years ago and being reassured that its something to do with the pigmentation in their eyes if I remember rightly.

If it's rew they mostly do it. Though some more noticeably than others. If not rew have eyesight checked then responses

I would get the Bun Vet checked as it may be a neurological deficit. The Vet may recommend a course of Fenbendazole, although EC is not the only possible suspect.

I would get the Bun Vet checked as it may be a neurological deficit. The Vet may recommend a course of Fenbendazole, although EC is not the only possible suspect.

The bunny has been for a vet check and my friend tried to show the vet some video she'd taken but it's not great as Ms bunny wouldnt do it to order! The vet was a bit bamboozled and said she hadn't seen the behaviour before! I'll ask her if she can get some better footage and try and upload it. She's a work colleague so might take a while.

Meant to add shes just had her vaccs and will be having the usual 30 day panacur course just in case!

The bunny has been for a vet check and my friend tried to show the vet some video she'd taken but it's not great as Ms bunny wouldnt do it to order! The vet was a bit bamboozled and said she hadn't seen the behaviour before! I'll ask her if she can get some better footage and try and upload it. She's a work colleague so might take a while.

Does the Rabbit ever seem to raise her head and look skyward ?

Nope, apparently she doesnt raise her head and look skywards! Her owner is going to try and get some better footage over the weekend.

By all accounts Ms bunny is a highly skilled professional tunnelling bunny escape artist :lol: which is presumably how she ended up lost and wandering around on the loose!

Back