• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Personalities and bonding

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
I have Hamish booked in for his castrate on Tuesday. I also have a new bun Ruby booked in at the same time for a spay. After payday this month I'll get Ava spayed as well. Now, I have various options and would like opinions. I would also like to say I am prepared for the worst, and if it comes to it all 3 will find partners at rescues. They all came to me from unwanted situations, but not proper rescues.

I have a bonded pair, super dominant and grouchy Delilah, and super submissive and doting Herbie. Ava is a dominant and grouchy female, and although she is still to be spayed, I dont think she will lose the grouchy dominant temperament. Hamish is quite submissive and soppy, not as much as Herbie but he clearly isnt going to be the in charge bun in a relationship. He shows no signs of being male or anything bless him. He does have very limited eyesight. This makes him nervous of too much action. Ruby is friendly and submissive and calm.

So Im thinking it might be possible to have the 3 singles as a trio, Ava in charge and the others being inoffensive. Bonding obviously wont be til may with Avas neuter not being til beginning of april, but I want to plan around potential setups and be prepared with who to try with who.

So is it possible to have a male female female trio like that? Is it better to make a pair then add a third, or wait and go for it with all 3 at once?

There is a sticky on bonding trios at the top of the page which would be useful for you.

Best of luck with the bonding when the time comes.

I was going to do a f/f/m bond but now I'm going for the indoor option and a m/m/f bond. Personality wise Leo is as dumb as anything, no idea how to be a rabbit really. Kerbie is food driven and can be very pushy and excitable. Charley (f) is still yet to reveal her personality to me (nearly had her a year), she is very nervy and skittish but will take food from my hand. I'm hoping being indoors she will show me what she's like because when she thinks no one is looking she is running about and flopping everywhere!

I thought maybe rebond the boys then add her but I think adding them as 3 singles would be the best way to go :) for me anyway :D

https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-rabbit-crossing/my-guide-to-how-i-bond-rabbits/463430373700695

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?317003-Do-you-want-to-bond-a-trio-Read-this-first

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...io-bonding-I-think-they-may-be-finally-bonded

Brilliant thanks. I have limited experience bonding so far so want to make sure I'm completely prepared.

Brilliant thanks. I have limited experience bonding so far so want to make sure I'm completely prepared.

Same :lol: I've been reading everything I can find on bonding pairs/trios/quads etc to make sure I know what I'm doing, but when it actually comes to it I'll probably forget it all! Which is why I printed off and highlighted a lot of stuff :oops:

I just want to have the best chance of bonding them as a trio. The more I know the more optimistic I can be, which means I wont pass my worries on to the bunnies as much, hopefully meaning more chance of a successful bond. It also means they can have larger accommodation than if I end up with a pair and a single needing a friend, or 3 singles needing friends!

Back