• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have a new girl. Help! u/d progress?? I just don't know

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
A lady got in touch with me as her male bunny had died leaving behind his partner. She wanted her to have a friend but didn't want any more bunnies right now so I agreed to take her. Bunnies name is Aurora and she is only 9 months old and spayed.
We went on a bunny mission to Leicester and nothing could have prepared me for what I saw - Gypsy's double! ! It was such a shock! I definitely would not of chosen a bunny so close to gypsy in looks, or one so young. Storm is an 8 and a half year old French lop.
Well, I set up a temporary pen for her in storm's room. At first he ignored her but then he was curious. It was the first time since gypsy died that he looked animated. He had just been laying there uninterested in everything and everyone but now he looked perky. The bunnies greeted each other through the bars anf even lay next to each other, which was lovely.
So what do you think happened when I took down the pen? Ww3 :( storm attacked aurora she was just saying hello and storm chased and bit her. He is so much bigger than her. I was so worried that storm would hurt her:cry: they are separate again now but still in the same room. Not sure where to go from here.

Last edited:
When you introduced them was it simply by taking down the barrier ? If so Storm wont see any of the room as 'neutral'. New Bunny sounds really cute :love:

I'd try the next introduction in a completely neutral area that Storm has never been in.

Thank you Jane. Normally I would do this, but I have never really known storm to be aggressive. I was lulled into a false sense of security seeing them laying together with the barrier between them.

Aurora is cute and so pretty. I am still trying to get over the fact that she looks so much like gypsy. She is smaller than gypsy and no where near as bossy though.

Thank you Jane. Normally I would do this, but I have never really known storm to be aggressive. I was lulled into a false sense of security seeing them laying together with the barrier between them.

Aurora is cute and so pretty. I am still trying to get over the fact that she looks so much like gypsy. She is smaller than gypsy and no where near as bossy though.

I have found that trying to judge how two Rabbits will get along from observing them side by side gives only limited information. Some will show obvious aggression even through a mesh barrier, which tends not to bode well. But then again there can be no sign of aggression through a barrier, but once the barrier is removed all hell can break lose !! I have had a few successes by using the 'side by side' approach and one bond was done by simply removing a run divide for increasing periods of time over several days. I was always present at all times when the Rabbits were in direct contact. But on other occasions this method has been a total failure and the 'Text Book' 100% neutral territory had to be used. Also, I had to completely separate the two Rabbits-ie not have them side-by-side, for several days prior to another attempt at bonding. Leaving them side-by-side after they had had a scuffle on their first meeting might have added fuel to the fire.

I am no bonding expert, far from it. Hopefully some more competent bonders will be along soon xx

You are more bunny experienced than me. My first bunny bond, bilbo and disabled freeda I just put them together and they were fine. Did the same with bilbo and gypsy, they were also fine. Tried to do the same with gypsy and storm but gypsy attacked. I had to actually think about what I was doing and call in the bunny experts for the first time ( ru) I ended up putting them in the bath tub for a few hours each day and eventually leaving storm's cage door open and then taking the cage away.
Why are bunnies so complex? I know we love them for it but sometimes it doesn't help us

You are more bunny experienced than me. My first bunny bond, bilbo and disabled freeda I just put them together and they were fine. Did the same with bilbo and gypsy, they were also fine. Tried to do the same with gypsy and storm but gypsy attacked. I had to actually think about what I was doing and call in the bunny experts for the first time ( ru) I ended up putting them in the bath tub for a few hours each day and eventually leaving storm's cage door open and then taking the cage away.
Why are bunnies so complex? I know we love them for it but sometimes it doesn't help us

Yes Bunnies do love to keep us on our toes!! :love:

Love to see some pictures. xx Saying that i miss finally put pictures of my six bunnies on here.

Yes Bunnies do love to keep us on our toes!! :love:

Love to see some pictures. xx Saying that i miss finally put pictures of my six bunnies on here.

Haha. I still cant work out how to take only the new photos from my tablet and not the 600 odd ones each time ... so that I can post my new rabbits.

Sparklefairy, Auora looks adorable. How magical that she looks like Gypsy. I hope you manage to find a bonding method that works for her and Storm.

I have put a photo in stories and pictures :D

Bunnies have gone back to sitting side by side with the pen between them:?

Well the bunnies have had a bath tub date. At first I wanted to give up straight away as storm attacked aurora and pulled fur, aurora jumped over his head and kicked storm in the face :shock: it really was a heart in mouth moment!!
Bunnies went to opposite ends of the tub and just stared at each other for a long time. Both bunnies seemed on tender hooks. Aurora crept over to storm and he nipped again. There was more staring and then storm sat down and stretched out aurora turned her back. Eventually storm groomed himself. Baby Rowan then woke up and started crying. Aurora crept beside storm and stayed at his side. They sat side by side for a while. They pushed their heads together, I was worried they might fight again but they didn't. They just lay head to head side by side. I stroked them both and they both relaxed. They lay like this for around 30 mins.

It has been a nerve wracking day. I * think * there may be hope. What do you think? It has been so long since I bonded bunnies. I wish I knew what they were thinking

This sounds really promising. How long can you keep them in the bath? Sorry, I am being cheeky! Have you got another neutral place where they can stay together for a few days/week? Then I think it sounds as if you will have bonded bunnies. Good luck!

Thank you. I really hope so. They are back in storms room with aurora in the pen again. What would happen if I popped storm in the pen and aurora in the room for a bit I wonder :? I will put them together again tomorrow. The bath tub again. I will find them a bigger area in time. My nerves can only stand about an hour at a time. I am in no way an expert. I am fumbling along hoping for the best haha

:wave: I've only just seen this, glad you've found storm a friend. It sounds promising that they sat together.
Is there anyway you can put them together and keep them together, Im not a Bonding expert but i think to keep reintroducing you kind of starting again with it all but you know them best xx

I don't trust storm yet. If I could spend all day supervising I would probably leave them together but I can't :cry: so it's slowly slowly. It did worl for gypsy and storm but we will see.
I do understand what you are saying though

Having said that, the first time you ever leave buns alone and unsupervised is always scary :shock:

I am just a bonding wuss :oops:

Xxx

I was braver and used to leave them in the bath for a few hours and I would pop in for check, only did it for two nights and then that was that. You know what I am like. :oops:

Back